Author Topic: smoking mixed cuts at same time  (Read 1907 times)

Oscar

smoking mixed cuts at same time
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
Saturday I'll be smoking pork for about 20 volunteers at a non-profit I am associated with.
The menu is mostly potluck, but I'm cooking three racks of baby backs (about 10 lbs total), and about 4 lbs of country ribs.

I've never had so much meat going at once.
Should I put the country ribs on the top two racks of my #2, and the baby backs on the remaining three racks?  Or baby backs on top? Or does it matter at all? With all the racks in use, I'm not sure if some racks will cook much faster then the other racks?

Start'em all at the same time? I have a remote thermometer, so I can keep an eye on the country ribs, and pull them at 160F, even if the baby backs aren't done yet.

Thanks for your tips!
-Tom
Tom in Allyn, WA (S. Puget Sound)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: smoking mixed cuts at same time
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »
Smoke the butt until done, wrap it in cling wrap until it is leak proof or place in 2 gallon zip bag. Wrap the bagged/wrapped but in foil and place in small cooler you preheated with boiling water. Drain the water before adding foil wrapped butt and pack empty space with towels.

That butt will still be too hot to touch when the ribs are done 4.5 hours later. You don't need to cook to any specific IT on the country ribs, cook for a good texture. Country ribs are sliced butt you need to break down connective tissue.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Oscar

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »
On another day I could do just as you suggest, but this time I need to have food ready at 5:00PM, and can't start before 9:00 AM. I'm afraid if I cook them serially, I'll likely still be smoking after 6:00PM.

But I'm making a note of how to hold the smoked meat as you described. Thanks!

-Tom

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 10:13:49 AM »
Tom, sounds like you are trying to do this:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4337.0
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:17:14 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Oscar

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
Yup, that's exactly what I doing. Thanks for the link. I think I'll try the multi-step heat, too.

Got my "Famous Dave's" from Amazon earlier this week, and have almost mastered the butter-knife membrane removal technique.

I'm ready to rock tomorrow! 8)
-Tom