Author Topic: New #1 in CT  (Read 5802 times)

pax238

Re: New #1 in CT
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:25 PM »
That's a fine-looking pie, Barry!

Thanks Tony.
Barry from CT
A little bit less of a complete newbie with a #1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »
If I could make a pizza crust like that, with the big bubbles, I'd be happy.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

coachB

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
Barry, you got me thinking about Hummel's so I checked out their website again.  Surprise, surprise, they will now ship their dogs out of state!  The shipping is exorbitant (FedEx overnight perishable).  I balked at first, but finally talked myself into it.  25 lbs/$100, shipping $128.+.  I also found the rolls you suggested and they are good.  Poorer but happier camper.

On another note, as a previous poster said, how do you get that kind of air into your dough to bubble like that.  I know the pizzerias pop the bubbles during baking, but I always liked crusts with the bubbles.  Is it the flour?  I use King Arthur Bread Flour because I can't find Caputo 00 down here and the qnty requirement for shipping is just too large for 1 person to reasonably use.  Inquiring minds want to know.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

pax238

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 05:05:04 PM »
If I could make a pizza crust like that, with the big bubbles, I'd be happy.

You can Kari. More details in this post. http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4647.0

Barry, you got me thinking about Hummel's so I checked out their website again.  Surprise, surprise, they will now ship their dogs out of state!  The shipping is exorbitant (FedEx overnight perishable).  I balked at first, but finally talked myself into it.  25 lbs/$100, shipping $128.+.  I also found the rolls you suggested and they are good.  Poorer but happier camper.

On another note, as a previous poster said, how do you get that kind of air into your dough to bubble like that.  I know the pizzerias pop the bubbles during baking, but I always liked crusts with the bubbles.  Is it the flour?  I use King Arthur Bread Flour because I can't find Caputo 00 down here and the qnty requirement for shipping is just too large for 1 person to reasonably use.  Inquiring minds want to know.

That's quite the Hummel's commitment, Bill. Glad it worked out for you.
BTW, Caputo 00 flour is normally used for Neapolitan style pizza (high hydration and cooked for 2-3 minutes in intense heat... 800 degrees is pretty common). I make a NY or New Haven style of pizza and typically use 85% King Arthur (Organic) Bread Flour combined with around 15% King Arthur (Organic) White Whole Wheat flour . If you like big air bubbles (and some people do not), I've taken Tony's suggestion and posted a recipe and work flow here http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4647.0

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:56:01 PM by pax238 »
Barry from CT

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
Barry, that's a great post about the pizza crust!  How about starting a new topic in the pizza section (it deserves its own thread), and copy that over there?  Better to start a new topic, in the appropriate section, than have your introduction grow into a huge pizza discussion.  No biggie...just more of a "housekeeping" thing!  Once you create a pizza crust topic, you can delete your last pizza post here.  Thanks!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

pax238

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »
As Tony suggested, I moved the pizza dough tips to a post in the pizza recipe section of the forum at http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4647.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:57:04 PM by pax238 »
Barry from CT