Author Topic: New M1 Owner  (Read 4802 times)

akcooper9

New M1 Owner
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:37:38 AM »
Placed the order yesterday  8) Looking forward to breaking this in and smoking one of the 5 pork shoulders I picked up for .79 Cents a pound  :)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New M1 Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, ak!   I am sure you will enjoy your SI...I know I do :) 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Welcome from SW Arkansas! Congratulations on your SI purchase.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

akcooper9

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
Thanks all. Was in San Diego for Xmas and dad has one. We used and I knew then and there I had to have one.

Next purchase will be a thermometer and remote. Any suggestions on a GOOD one?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »
Welcome from ND! You are going to love your new #1.

The most common wireless thermometers that you will see referenced here are the Maverick ET-732 and Maverick ET-733. I have the 733 and love it. I got mine from Amazon and it came with free Bear Paws which are awesome and I use for every Boston Butt that I smoke:

http://www.amazon.com/ET733-Wireless-Thermometer-Newest-Handler/dp/B00GM0RXQQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1455030328&sr=8-3&keywords=maverick+et-733

If you are feeling adventurous, some of us have taken the plunge and ordered a "Meater" from Aption labs. Unfortunately the shipping for these new devices has been pushed to June 2016.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4163.0

Apption Lab Site:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

When you get a chance please add your name and location to your signature as we like to know the names of our new friends.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:48 AM »
I have been using a Chef Alarm and have been very happy with it. The difference between the Chef Alarm and the Maverick's that Gregg mentioned is that the Chef Alarm is not a remote alarm. If you are sold on having the remote function then the Maverick is the way to go.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:36:19 AM »
Personally, I am sold on it and wouldn't have any more none remote thermometers.

99% of my butts go in at 11pm-12am, and my wireless thermometer sits on my nightstand in case something goes wrong and the warning beeper goes off.

But, at Jimmy said, there are other options out there like the Chef Alarm that are fine thermometers. Another one that some use is the iGrill.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
I paid $70 - $80 for my Maverick but have never used the remote.  I bought it because I was unaware of other good 2 probe thermometers. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
Welcome from Tulsa!
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »
Welcome to Club Lazy Q! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »
Mavericks are notoriously trouble-free, and accurate. I would skip the iGrill. Probes seem to have accuracy problems. I am on the list to receive the MEATER 4-probe block (no wires!). If it works as promised, I will retire my Maverick to "back-up" status.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:27:22 PM »
I am planning a smoked cheese storage rack system under my basement stairs storage area where it stays relatively cool and plan to have my 733 monitoring the temp of my cheese room.

I also hoping that "The Meater" works as promised.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

akcooper9

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:13:54 AM »
Glad to hear the MAVs work. Some of the reviews on Amazon seem to indicate prob burn outs but that maybe due to how people are cleaning?

M1 lands Thursday and ill break in Friday and plan to break down a pork shoulder Sunday!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 09:48:14 AM »
My probes did eventually wear out. Then I bought these waterproof probes and they are built much better than the stock ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-3-Foot-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00WGUFITK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455115504&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+waterproof+probes

They can be washed without worry of getting wet. The stock ones you have to be careful not to get water in through the top of the probe where the wire goes in. Several here have used a fire safe red silicone to seal up the ends to prevent water getting in there.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
Gregg will those probes work on a 733? The Amazon page shows they are "For Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth Wireless Cooking Thermometer."

I hope I didn't ruin mine after using them for the first time last weekend as I probably did get water in there.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK