Author Topic: 2 briskets  (Read 3800 times)

smokinfan

• hello smokers! Brad, nice to meet ya!
2 briskets
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Am I off my rocker or is it possible to do 2 packer briskets at once in the #2?  Have to have 2 for a get together and don't want to smoking for 2 days straight.

mizzoufan

Re: 2 briskets
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
I don't see why not.  I did a packer cut brisket that was 11 or 12 lbs along with a boston butt.  As long as you can put each on one shelf (you can even scrunch up the flat end a bit if needed, it'll shrink), you should be just fine.
Steven from KCMO

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
+1   Should be no problem.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:43:24 AM »
I have a #3 and know i could do it, however I think a packer fits in a #2 cut. I believe I remember Tony (Divot) writing about cutting full packer briskets in half and putting the flat on top shelf, point on the bottom. If that is correct you wont be able to fit two.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:37:49 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »
I always had to cut packers in 2 for the #1, but can fit about a 12 lb packer in the #2 uncut (depending on the length - which can vary individually).  I think 2 packers in a #2 might be a crowd, but you could definitely do it in a #3, don't you #3 owners think?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:02 PM »
Plenty of room in a #3 for 2 packers without cutting the meat. Although I have never done it, it would be interesting to see how the temp fluctuations react to such a load.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »
I haven't done this, but I think if I would want to smoke two full packers I would separate the points from the flats and them smoke the flats on the top shelf and the points on the lower shelf. This would help prevent the flats from drying out and have the points and flats get done closer to the same time.

Just a thought. I'm not sure if this would work in the #2 or not, but should easily work in a #3.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
I haven't done this, but I think if I would want to smoke two full packers I would separate the points from the flats and them smoke the flats on the top shelf and the points on the lower shelf.

I've done this, and was not happy at all with the results.  What I found, was it defeats the magic of a whole packer cut brisket!  The flats are always dryer, and when you separate them, it's even worse.  The point and flat, together, helps both (they're a great little team)!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:41:41 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to do 2 full packers in my #3 if I need that much meat. I have done 3 full slabs of belly and that is greater mass than the briskets.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:39 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to do 2 full packers in my #3 if I need that much meat. I have done 3 full slabs of belly and that is greater mass than the briskets.

If you couldn't do 2 packers in a #3, you wasted your money. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas