Author Topic: Pheasant Snack Sticks  (Read 2449 times)

Jake

Pheasant Snack Sticks
« on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
My brother and his dog are avid pheasant hunters. They both like the beef snack sticks I make with my 2D. He is bugging me to find a recipe for Pheasant Snack Sticks. Can they be made like any other snack sticks?

He wants to grind a bunch of his pheasant breast to use for the protein. Anyone have any idea on how coarse the pheasant breast should be ground.

I'm concerned the pheasant breast meat might be awful dry. Should he add any ground beef or pork to get a little fat into the pheasant meat.

I suggested he use his Hi-Mountain snack seasoning. Anyone have a favorite seasoning they have used and liked?

Should he add any addition cure since they are poultry? Also how hot should they be cooked too?
Jake
Southern Wi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Pheasant Snack Sticks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
I course grind one pass, for snack sticks. I would freeze bunch of chicken skin then grind it also pheasants are pretty lean.

High Mountain as some good mixes, avoid anything too bold or you wont taste the pheasant.

My friends made snack sticks from domestic rabbits last year they didn't add any fat because the rabbits had a good bit on them. Their final product was pretty tasty.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
I have made some pretty tasty Pheasant Jerky in the past, but have never shot enough birds to have enough to make sticks. So, kudos to your hunting ability!!!

I would strongly recommend using a meat binder such as Sure Gel or Carrot Fiber as this will help absorb and retain moisture in your finished product. The by-product is that it actually increases your net yield by retaining all of that moisture instead of letting it go out via your Jerky Dryer. :)

Let us know how this goes as it is a very intriguing idea.

Koze

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
Here is a little more info for you.

Waltons has a blog post called How To Make A Juicy Homemade Turkey Bratwurst that provides some good information on how to make a juicy bratwurst out of Turkey. But, I think this could be pretty much applied to all poultry and/or lean meats. I have not tried the Cold Phosphate before, but can definitely tell you that the Sure Gel or Carrot Fiber will help retain a lot of the moisture.

Good luck!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.