Author Topic: Camping for Thanksgiving and my Brining delima.  (Read 1804 times)

raymillsus

Camping for Thanksgiving and my Brining delima.
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:28 PM »
Ok So here is my issue.

1. I want to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving.
2. We camp for thanksgiving.
3. Smoker goes in the Garage of a toyhauler with a Kegerator.
4. I have the briner in both sizes.
5. I have a 14.8lb turkey. (Smallest I could find)
6. I plan to use Fruit Chunk, Cherry, Pecan, Peach wood with Dizzy Pig Mad Max Turkey Rub (If you have not tried Dizzypig you need to. Local to me but Amazing)

So my real issue is 2 questions.
1. Do I prebrine it and take it out and bag it?
2. Take the briner with me and brine it there. May be cold enough to leave it outside. Bears and animals will be a concern. But no room in the fridge for either briner.
3. is the best bet just to bring a small dorm fridge to put stuff in?

We have 5 campers going with us we are doing 1 smoked (me) and 1 fryed (Bubba) And maybe another one too if the women decide they need one more. I want this to be as good as i know it can be.

Thoughts on to brine early or brine there.
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Camping for Thanksgiving and my Brining delima.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
I would pre-brine, rinse thoroughly, and place in a large bag. Brining bags or Oven Roasting bags should keep it from dripping raw turkey juice all over the other food you are bringing. Does someone attending have a cooler? Even if they are not planning on using it, you could borrow it, and put the raw turkey on ice until you are ready to smoke. Or... a dorm fridge would probably be appreciated for more than just the turkey, if it's not too much trouble.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

raymillsus

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
I have plenty of coolers and also an Ice machine from a restaurant that went out of business. Did not consider that as an option. I have a 12x8 garage on the camper so I have room. I just want to do the right thing. Maybe the small fridge is the right answer.

-Ray
-Ray
Haymarket Va
SI #3
Tec Sterling 2 Infrared Grill
USN 1988-1998 Medically discharged.
Biker at heart, I ride for abused children
Great BBQ is a passion.

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:28:19 AM »
I think Kari's suggestion to pre-brine would work. Just thinking, you could rub it down (under the skin) with some softened butter and garlic/spices before putting it in a bag. Good luck!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.