Author Topic: Over cooked ribs  (Read 8271 times)

H3

Over cooked ribs
« on: October 12, 2015, 02:00:05 PM »
Hey everyone,
I cooked 3 racks of baby backs yesterday. I used the 5 hours no peek, but when I checked them at 4 hours and 30 min they where over cooked. I used about 5 oz of maple wood and cooked at 225. My question is could a build up of smoke/grease on the temp probe make it cook too hot and if so what is the best way to clean it. Thanks
Howard from Panama City Beach

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Over cooked ribs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
Hey Howard, Are you talking about the permanent wall mount probe for an Auber. If so I clean mine after every smoke so it is clean. I just use dish soap and water while cleaning the bottom of the smoker and smoke box. I will also use a wire brush on the racks to clean them. I have not done babyback ribs, but have done several full slabs and also St. Louis style ribs. I normally will check mine at the 4 hr. mark. And will sauce them at 4.5 hour and let them go another 30 min. I also use a mix of maple and either oak or hickory at 5 oz. of wood. I would suggest cleaning your probe.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »
My question is could a build up of smoke/grease on the temp probe make it cook too hot
Answer is no.  Are you using an Auber or standard SI controller?  I would do some simulated tests with a remote thermometer to see how the box temp is matching another thermometer. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

H3

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:21:14 PM »
I am not using an Auber, just the built in probe.  Thanks

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »
I doubt greese on the probe would cause an issue, and the probe is kind of tucked under a shelf for protection.  However, Dave is right...if you have a remote therm (like the Maverick), then put that in the box and see where your temps are when the unit is running.  Don't be surprised to see some variation (like +/-10-15F) between the set temp on the box and the actual temps within the unit while smoking.   The temp should average out over time to your desired smoking temp.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »
For what it is worth, it might also be just a matter of testing baby backs at 4 hours rather than 4.5 hours.  I test spares at 4.5 hours and baby backs at 4 as they typically finish sooner than spares.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
Howard,

I buy Berkshire Baby Backs (which are real small bone) and at 5 hours, I sauce and then pull at 5.5 hours total.

Also

Below is a baseline I did with my smoker, as others have suggested you might want to do the same.

Greg

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
I am not using an Auber, just the built in probe.  Thanks
I'd run a test as Dave suggested. You may find that the analog dial needs to be adjusted. This link will take you to the instructions.   http://www.smokin-it.com/Articles.asp?ID=251
Also in my SI#1 the majority of my smokes are on the middle rack....The closer to the heating element the hotter it is. Just my thoughts....,.,hope they help

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:53:49 PM by AlinMA »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

smokeasaurus

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
Out of curiosity when you say over-cooked do you mean fall off the bone or were they dried out??
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
Also, where did you get your ribs? Were they relatively small or big and meaty?

I get all of my ribs at Sam's Club or Costco, and they are very large and meaty. I don't bother even checking BBs until 5 hours in and St Louis cut until 6 hours in.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »
Howard, the guys have very valid questions.  We need more details before flying off into a litany of technical solutions.  Sometimes, it's as simple as the meat, prep, temp smoked at, use/no use of a water pan, etc...  Please give us some more details about these items, and I bet we can figure it out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

H3

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Thanks everyone. I got the ribs at Sams Club. They were big and meaty. I cooked 3 racks, each cut in half. I used the top 2 shelves in my #2 with a pan of apple juice next to the smoker box. Most were dried out and a few were ok. Some of the bone ends were actually burnt. I used Oakridge rib rub for the first time and they had a good bark and flavor. I think I should have checked them at 4 hours.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 07:48:07 PM »
What temp did you smoke them at, Howard?  Big Sam's ribs shouldn't have been that done after only 5 hours.  Surprises me a bit!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:54 PM »
Howard,

Just my 2 cents, If you had the smoker set to 225 degrees, then I don't see how they could be overcooked.

As I said earlier, I would do a baseline and see what your smokers temp really is running at.

Greg

H3

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
Yes, I smoked them at 225.