Author Topic: Just got a box from Fruitawood  (Read 3157 times)

va_rider

Just got a box from Fruitawood
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:01:04 PM »
Got a 20lb box of Apple, Pecan, and Oak last night from Fruitawood. I got the cookshack cut, and was intrigued when I got the box because a great many of the chunks are a lot thinner than the chunks I've been using from Steve (Hickory, Cherry and Maple). So, even though I had nothing to smoke, I tossed on 2 chunks of Apple (3oz) at 225 to see how it'd smoke.

I opened the smoker at about the 2 hour mark to see how much was left, and the first thing that hit me was that the smoke seemed more harsh. Possibly because of the bark on the chunks? But it was more like standing over a campfire.

The thinner chunks seemed to smoke up faster, but I didn't notice a sharp difference in the longevity of the smoke.  Friday evening will be the real test, I'll be tossing on that 16lb brisket on pecan and oak.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

AlinMA

• Al
Re: Just got a box from Fruitawood
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:22 PM »
Try stripping the bark off and see if it make a difference.
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:57 PM »
It would be my opinion that harsh smoke has nothing to do with the small amount of bark but more to do with combustion.  Your thinner pieces are catching fire, which leaves the ash tray / campfire quality smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »
It would be my opinion that harsh smoke has nothing to do with the small amount of bark but more to do with combustion.  Your thinner pieces are catching fire, which leaves the ash tray / campfire quality smoke.

+1.  Fruitwood bark really doesn't affect the smoke smell or taste.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jcnme

• Frank
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:41 AM »
I've also noticed when there's bark left on,the smoke is more "harsh" as you put it. I've also read in other places the same thing. So let us know if you try it with and without bark and if there is a difference. I usually remove as much as possible.
It costs nothing to believe and everything not to.😇