Author Topic: Brisket Maiden Voyage  (Read 1676 times)

Cap

Brisket Maiden Voyage
« on: September 20, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »
I have smoked a moderate amount through the past five or ten years, but never a brisket. I had a Cookshack unit that was stolen. This was before I knew anything about Smokin-it. In my research to replace it, I saw I could get an equal Smokin-it unit for nearly $200 less. No brainer. So, in the past two years, I've been using a #2.

My adult daughter texted me that briskets were on sale and asked if I would smoke one. I responded affirmatively and immediately logged onto the forums. I've learned that two things make it very difficult to fail even when smoking something for the first time; Smokin-it smokers and Smokin-it forums. After reading and re-reading many brisket posts and an email or two to Tony (Thanks, Tony), I raised the anchors and took her out into the harbor. Here's what I did.

I of course trimmed down the fat cap. Then I brined it for 14 hours in Tony's brine (https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0). I removed it from the brine, rinsed and wiped, and dusted it with Morton's Tender Quick. I waited about 10 minutes and then washed and wiped it again. Then I coated it with mustard and rub and into the smoker it went. I had to fold it up on either end to get it to fit.

Smoked it at 225 with 7 ounces of Acadian Oak and Mesquite. I stay from hickory since grandson has nut allergy. I inserted the probe to my new meat thermometer. I have used many thermometers through the years, but I have had trouble with them losing the signal as my smoker is on the porch of my shop about 70 yards behind my house. This one, the Maverick XR-40 Extended Range truly lived up to the billing. It kept a signal no matter where I was in the house. Anyway, I went to bed with the unit on my bedside table. At 4:30, 7 hours and 40 minutes in, the alarm awoke me to inform me that the internal temp had reached 190. I removed the brisket, double-wrapped it, placed it in a cooler, and covered with a towel for 1.5 hours.

In short, it was very, very good. My daughter told me never to do anything different when I smoke them in the future. Grandsons FaceTimed me with mouths full of brisket tacos to brag. When son-in-law was slicing it, he commented on the amazingly perfect smoke ring. ;) In short, this smoker and these forums make it possible for us novices to turn out some very good Q. Thanks.
Chuck
Northwest Louisiana

barelfly

Re: Brisket Maiden Voyage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
Ha! Outstanding! Congrats on that first brisket cook and glad everyone enjoyed the result!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
Congratulations Cap On your brisket smoke, sounds great. Tony would say “where’s the pics“ and I’m curious about the size and fit of your brisket in that number 2.

was it a full packer or a flat?

Cap

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
Congratulations Cap On your brisket smoke, sounds great. Tony would say “where’s the pics“ and I’m curious about the size and fit of your brisket in that number 2.

was it a full packer or a flat?

It was a full packer. I curled it up on both ends to fit it in the #2. When finished, it had shrunk to where it was lying flat.
Chuck
Northwest Louisiana

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:03:43 PM »
Pictures would have been nice but the main thing is that your brisket cook turned out great.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Cap

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 03:05:48 PM »
Pictures would have been nice but the main thing is that your brisket cook turned out great.

Lesson learned. Won't commit this grievous error again.
Chuck
Northwest Louisiana