Author Topic: Brisket 12 lbs Angus from RD  (Read 7807 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Brisket 12 lbs Angus from RD
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 01:56:25 AM »
OK I am confused, do you put the TQ on after the mustard but before the rub. Or do you put the TQ on and leave it for say 8 hrs. then put the mustard and rub. Just want to get it right as going to do a brisket for Sunday 96th birthday dinner for my Dad.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
My honest answer is don't worry about tender quick. If Smoke rings are important to you, you bought the wrong smoker.

But if you feel the need to fake one, the TQ goes on bare meat.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:02:45 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

elkins20

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
Thanks Brian, was looking for the fake one, I will add the TQ, then mustard and rub, then will wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 8 hrs. Does this sound about right?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 06:45:46 PM »
I've yet to see a faux smoke ring that didn't look like bad make up on a hooker.  But you guys keep trying!  LOL!
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
In my Navy days did not look at the makeup on the hookers. Especially in Hawaii, just looked for the I'am a boys tag and stayed away from them.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 07:44:58 PM »
Staying out of the smoke ring discussion, except to say this:  Live and let live, and do what pleases you, and don't judge what pleases others. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
You know me I'm all about "You do what makes YOU happy" But.......

If smoke rings are important why would you buy the smoker that can never make one?

Real smoke rings are a fickle bitch that can not be counted on to show up. In the volume of meat I smoke I see pork consistently taking good color but across the board beef is unpredictable. Six briskets may have good rings, six may not, and that is in the same smoke on the same night. I believe this is why fake rings look so fake they are too controlled.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
You know me I'm all about "You do what makes YOU happy" But.......

If smoke rings are important why would you buy the smoker that can never make one?

Real smoke rings are a fickle bitch that can not be counted on to show up. In the volume of meat I smoke I see pork consistently taking good color but across the board beef is unpredictable. Six briskets may have good rings, six may not, and that is in the same smoke on the same night. I believe this is why fake rings look so fake they are too controlled.

OK, you knew you'd draw me in, even though I said I'd stay out! lol!  Let's go through your points (all valid, BTW):

"If smoke rings are important why would you buy the smoker that can never make one?"  When I bought my #1, I never gave them a second thought!  My limited experience had me believe the smoke ring actually came from the smoke!  I was surprised when I didn't get one.  Yes, I totally agree that it is not necessary, only for looks, not for taste...I get that, and have even posted it.  But, the fact is that appearance and presentation are important factors to some cooks.  I resigned myself to not being able to produce one, until I happened upon the curing salt method.  I don't use it on everything, just briskets, pork loins and butts.  Love the pink!

The part about inconsistency with real smoke rings, I agree with.

"I believe this is why fake rings look so fake they are too controlled."  With all due respect, only the expert pit masters, like you, know that.  99% of folks who see, or eat, my fake smoke ring Q a) don't have the foggiest idea what you mean by "controlled," or b) don't care in the least.  They compliment the taste, but subconsciously, they see the appearance they associate with BBQ.  This is one of the main reasons "I" like it.  Only guys like you, that cook more brisket in a day than most of us do in a year, would really see the difference.

I value your opinion greatly, so I hope you can understand where I'm coming from on the issue.  Yes, it's a little "smoke and mirrors" for the masses, but they don't know the difference, and that makes me happy to hear compliments on how good my BBQ looks, not just tastes.  I would bet any BBQ restaurant could use this technique in large commercial electrics, and their customers would never know the difference.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!