Author Topic: advise on design  (Read 1841 times)

beeflamb

advise on design
« on: December 27, 2020, 11:03:42 AM »
Looking to incorporate my #1 into outdoor grill/smoker island.
My challenge it will not have a cover so ....
1.  It will have a built in stand for the smoker to bring it higher but what to do at the bottom of that niche?  Have it removable so I can clean up the bottom surface or may be have a pan built in?  Also should be bottom leveled up or tilted forward a little?
2. What to do with top of the smoker to protect when it''s not in use?

Thanks!
Michael smoking on S1

barelfly

Re: advise on design
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 04:48:18 PM »
I’d keep it level so that grease isn’t flowing forward out the door more than it normally would. But that’s just my thinking. and use whatever your counter top surface will be as the platform for the smoker? Easy clean up if needed.

To cover, check out Coversandall.com for a high quality cover for it. Just leave yourself a few inches all around to make it easy on and off. I have three coversandall.com covers and have had them for almost 4 years now and they are still in good condition. I will add though, my units are under cover, although my gasser does get morning sun, but it is still in good condition.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

OldeSmoker

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 08:49:29 AM »
Jeremy, I was checking out coversandall.com for a cover for my 3DW and Stephanie cabinet. They have three grades of fabric. Which fabric did you choose for your covers?
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:34:49 AM »
Hey Paul,

When I ordered these, I think they only had two options so i went with CoverTuff. Which is the heavy duty material. The first time I ordered, I had a custom cover made for my gasser, so I sent photos and measurements and they didn’t make it correctly. They remade it and let me keep the original they sent, which is now a perfect cover for my 3D. I also have one on my Weber kettle, which is really well made.

My dad also has two of these covers. He just ordered his this summer, he has a #2 analog with one of the carts, so he custom ordered one. Again, they were off a bit on the size and all he had to do was pay shipping for the next one and they had him keep the original as well. So, they take care of you if something isn’t right when you custom order.

If you do purchase one, the shipping time took a while. I think these are made overseas and it took a few months. I don’t remember how long it took when I purchased mine a while back.

Hope that helps.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks for the information Jeremy. Do you think it would be a good idea to add an inch to each measurement in order to be sure it’s not to small? I would rather have it a little bit oversized than not big enough. I have the Bella CSG on the front door so I added 4” to the depth of the cover since I leave it on all the time. I appreciate your thoughts.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »
Paul, you may want to communicate with them on that. I also think that is where the photos with a tape measure showing your dimensions may help as well.

That said, I’m with my Dad and he said for the second go, he provided a drawing what exact dimensions of the smoker and cart and pointed out where it needed to get a bit wider for the shelves. He didn’t do this the first go. But he DID NOT add an extra inch around, he provided exact specs.

So that should help you out.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q

OldeSmoker

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 11:20:25 PM »
Thanks Jeremy. Your insight is very much appreciated.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:01:16 AM »
You are welcome, Paul!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q