Author Topic: Smoked New York Strip Steaks  (Read 2104 times)

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
Smoked New York Strip Steaks
« on: November 03, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »
We picked up a couple of New York Strips, had them cut about 1 1/2" thick. Marinated them in Allegro and season all for about 4 hours in refrigerator, took them out patted them dry. Rubbed with olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper. Put in #2 with 2.4 oz. chunk of hickory with water pan next to smoke box. Inserted probe in one of them, and placed them on the middle rack, at 225 degrees. When meat hit 126 degrees, I turned on the gas grill on high, I turned smoaker off when meat hit 128 degrees. When grill was at 500 degrees, pulled the steaks out(internal temp. was 135 degrees) seared 2 1/2 minutes on each side. Put 3 pats of butter on each steak and wrapped in aluminum foil for about 20 minutes, then ate. They did have a strong hickory smoke taste(a little too much for the wife) but were cooked to perfection to my liking. Next time I will cook in the smoker without any wood.   
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoked New York Strip Steaks
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »
Yes, you may have used too much wood for the smoke, even though it does not take long for the steaks to reach temp.   When I have done steaks, I use red oak but only about 1oz and they taste great.   You might also want to remove the steaks a bit earlier, let rest foiled while you fire up the grill, and then grill to your desire temp.  Just another way to try this out, but I think you will like the results.

Steve
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

MC1960

• Lover of great pork ribs
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks Steve
Mark from the Republic of West Florida, later South East Louisiana (the upper toe of the boot)
Smokin-it #2

Tightywhitey

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:42:51 AM »
Sounds like you burned your steaks ;D
Tightywhitey from New Orleans
Smokin-it Model #2

Lipster

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
Instead of "smoking" next time with no wood, try a smaller amount of another wood, such as just an ounce of oak, pecan or cherry.  Doesn't take as much as folks think.
And, hickory is pretty strong smoke.