Author Topic: Chili  (Read 2815 times)

Bdav31

Chili
« on: October 21, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Anyone try smoking ground beef for chili?  My buddies with the Egg have done it, debating on trying it out.  I searched and didn't see any posts.  Thanks for any input.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Chili
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:37:09 PM »
First off, welcome to the forum. As for smoking ground beef, in a manner not resembling a hamburger patty or a meat loaf or meatball, I have to say I have never heard of it. But do give it a shot and let us know how it goes.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:56:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum, lots of good folks here. I have smoked beef for chili with good results. I have also smoked meatloaves and finished them on the grill with excellent results. Pecan and oak worked well.
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »
Can't say I'd ever thought about it... I've heard of folks putting smoked brisket in their chili.  I've heard of folks making smoked meatloaf.  I'm not sure there is any reason you couldn't do what you're saying.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
Smoked brisket chili is a really good change up from standard (no beans) chili. I use my left overs and usually throw a few different spices in the pot to vary the flavors. Beer in the pot and down the hatch works well too...  :)
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:50:14 PM »
What if you just made your chili on the stovetop, and then put it in a pan like people use for Mac and Cheese, and then put the pan in the smoker?  Depending on how much smoke flavor you want, you might give it a stir or two, but an hour or so at low heat shouldn't dry it out.  Just a thought.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Gene

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:18:57 PM »
One time at a tailgate I grilled burgers over charcoal then broke them up and put them in a pot and made chili with them.  Came out great.
I like the idea of making chili and putting it in an aluminum pan and smoking it.  I'm going to try that.
Model 1
Central Illinois

mnsmoker

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »
Make your favorite chili recipe, put it in an aluminum pan, smoke according to your taste, done it many times turns out great, pulled pork chili is awesome.
Jim from Minnesota

Limey

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »
Jim, I really like your pulled pork chili idea. Will give it a try. Thanks.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.