Author Topic: A new perspevtive on brisket.  (Read 3993 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
A new perspevtive on brisket.
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:57:18 AM »
I have always cooked briskets fat side down, because that is how I was told to do it. The reasoning being the fat shields the meat from the rising heat.

About a month ago I loaded one in the smoker accidentally fat side up. I noticed it the next morning, I also noticed it was more tender than the other briskets. For two weeks after that I was loading half the briskets fat side up and comparing results.

Fat side up was consistently giving better results. All briskets have been smoked fat side up for the past couple weeks.

I have not repeated this testing in an SI but I expect it will be the same results.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

ARmike

Re: A new perspevtive on brisket.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 04:08:51 PM »
I do them fat side up also.  I think it bastes the meat. 
Mike from Mountain Home, AR
Love to cook for my wife(empty nest), kids
Live to dive, Dive to live (scuba)
#2, weber kettle, char-broil infrared three burner. Oh, two burner on pontoon(gas)
Woo Pig Soooie

Grampy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
I am a fat side up man too.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

kona77

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
Interesting topic.. I am only a couple of years into my smoking experiences and I have used the
fat side down process for my briskets.. Was looking to change things up from a temp perspective ( go from 225 to 265) based on some posts on this forum on this topic.. May also give the fat side up a try on the next smoke.. Have to admit I am a bit leery about changing anything due to the cost and the fact I have had great briskets on my other attempts but it is worth a try..   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
a temp perspective ( go from 225 to 265)

Wow that's hot compared to mine. I am running 213 for 20 or 20+hours.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

kona77

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:34:07 AM »
 Brian- There have been some past posts from Greg B. and others about using a higher temp on brisket to cut down on the cook time.. I love briskets but cook times have varied from 14-22 hours (always buy 12-15lb prime from Costco)..I know they keep in coolers for 4-6 hours but the differences in cook times can make planning meals a challenge. I believe Greg was reporting cook times in the 7-8 hour range at 265 and stated results were great.. Just thought I would give it a try for myself and I will report my results.. (maybe in June)
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
I have to concur, I smoke with the fat side up!
Best Greg

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
2 going in later tonight, Fat side up!, Sounds like a plan. I've settled back in  and very comfortable at 260*
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:24:24 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
Lazy Q! While we were all sleeping those 2 hunks of goodness transformed themselves, of course with the help of the Smokin-it! In at 9:10 out at 5:44. Now resting inside the Cambro. Probed like butter at 200 and 198.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »
Thanks Brian, guess I’m a Fat side up guy now.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LuvMyQ

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 08:22:56 PM »
I do my briskets hot now too.  My first hot one was in February with ambient temps of 22. Went in at 275, and was like butta in under 8 hours.  Costco Prime, and fat side up always.  BTW, just did my 2nd hot smoke on a butt yesterday at 275.  Hit 203 in 7.5 hours.  It was awesome as usual.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
Brian, we have similar experiences. I was always a fat cap down guy in the SI until recently. I have started putting a drip pan under the brisket to help stop overheating The non-fat side and at same time collecting drippings to be added to the foil when I rest them. I also wrap in butcher paper around 170ish. All of these techniques have really increased the moisture content of my briskets.

I have always cooked briskets fat side down, because that is how I was told to do it. The reasoning being the fat shields the meat from the rising heat.

About a month ago I loaded one in the smoker accidentally fat side up. I noticed it the next morning, I also noticed it was more tender than the other briskets. For two weeks after that I was loading half the briskets fat side up and comparing results.

Fat side up was consistently giving better results. All briskets have been smoked fat side up for the past couple weeks.

I have not repeated this testing in an SI but I expect it will be the same results.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

kona77

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »

I see there are a couple of recent posts that discuss the topic of fat side up or down. I have always used the down method but then also add some of the fat trimmings to the top of the brisket. Thought this would give me the best of both worlds with the fat cap shielding the brisket while the trimmings on top helping to baste the briskets.. Not sure there is really a right/wrong method. I know we tend to do what works best for our own smokes/situations. Still always nice to see guys trying and posting different methods of using the SI units..   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)