Author Topic: Foiling ribs vs not  (Read 5716 times)

Spence

Foiling ribs vs not
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:04:20 PM »
Hi guys.  I normally use the 3-2-1 method on ribs but see that some don't.  What is the tenderness results for those who just cook the full time without foiling?  Always searching for the best way.
Alabama Chain Smoker

Rob Babcock

Re: Foiling ribs vs not
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
In a SmokinIt I have never felt the need to foil.  Of course, sometimes I apply 5 hours of smoke and then cook them sous vide overnight at 145F...Not very traditional but very tasty! ;D

bigboy74

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
I don't see a need to foil either... I keep the door closed and let the smoker do the work. When you open the door you let out moisture witch promotes tenderness. Just my 2 cents..

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
My typical process for spares is to butcher them into a St. Louis cut, remove the silver skin and excess fat, and coat with a layer of yellow mustard and a heavy application of my rub, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.

They go in the smoker at 225 with 3-4 oz. of applewood or hickory.  And that's it for 4.5 hours.  No peeking ... no foiling ... no spritzing.  After 4.5 hours, I typically coat with a layer of sauce and let smoke for 60 to 90 minutes until I see the pull back on the bones that I like.

I've never had a problem with moistness; if you're concerned, a couple of hours in apple juice before you rub them and wrap them overnight would more than boost it for you.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 03:15:15 PM »
I have been a foiler at either the 3 hour mark for spares or 2 hours mark for baby back.  Joe, your method sounds interesting and I am going to try my next rib smoke.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Spence

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »
Thanks to all for your replies.  I'll definitely try the no foil route on my next smoke.  Not only easier but saves on materials and less interruption of cook. 

Loving my number 3!!
Alabama Chain Smoker