Author Topic: Wood!?!?!  (Read 7112 times)

bigboy74

Wood!?!?!
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:43 PM »
I was in academy sports today and saw some wood chunks and chips. It was put out by western bar-b-Que product. Has any of you used it in our type smokers. They had lots of different woods. They had peach, apple, hickory, cherry, orange, oak, and a few others. They have a web site. http://www.westernbbqproducts.com/wood-chunks.html

es1025

Re: Wood!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
I have not, I tried fruitawood out of colorado and some other members maine grilling woods.  i bought 15# of cherry from fruitawood.  good quality wood.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »
I have used their Pecan chunks and Hickory from another company named Cowboy Brand.  I have had good results with both of them. Remember you only need about 2 - 3 oz. per smoke so you will need to split them to size. I am lucky enough to have some apple, cherry and plum trees so I have some of my own smokin wood too.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

bigboy74

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
I bought some of their hickory. It is worth trying for under 5 dollars for 10lbs. I got some peach from a local peach orchard. I would love to source all my wood through local farmers..

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:58 PM »
Bigboy, I'm 100% with you on local sourcing.  Not only do you keep your dollars in your region but you can do some great networking with not only other smoking hobbyists but farmers and ranchers by extension.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

bigboy74

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
UWFSAE, I am on a mission now to find all local wood. Just picked up some pecan and hickory at my granddad's house. He had some lightning strike some trees and I got a couple branches. Now I need to get some apple from a farmer around here.

bigboy74

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Bigumdaddyo, What did you think of the pecan? I haven't used the hickory yet...

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Hey Big,

So far I used the pecan on burgers twice now using the stick burner. Everyone loves them.
I mixed the pecan with hickory when I smoked the brisket. The wood flavor was great.
You have to try the hickory. I use it for beef, pork and some times on chicken.
Oh yeah, last weekend I smoked corn on the cob and a couple potatoes (2 hours at 250) using hickory. My wife said that was the best corn on the cob she ever ate!! Have a couple left over and they are on the menu this evening.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner