Author Topic: Temperature issue  (Read 2665 times)

iamimdoc

Temperature issue
« on: August 25, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
I have the model 3 with Auber 1200 w controller
Could typically maintain very accurate 225 smoker temperature.
Rheostat on model 3 at max
Setting Auber to 225 only got smoker tempt to about 210.
Setting at 250 got me to about 220

Model 3 with no Auber in circuit and max on rheostat, was going to to smoker temp of 210. 

I gave the rheostat a few swipes to on and off positions and now smoker goes to 240

Questions

Can heating element be weak and not dead? How to troubleshoot please?
Is this expected max temp ( no load and air temp 90)?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Temperature issue
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
Your element should glow red hot when on. And the glow should be pretty much uniform with no dark spots. Test it when dark outside.  Should only take a minute or two.  Also look at the built in temp probe and make sure that it is not covered in food debris/baked on stuff which can affect accuracy.  As for testing the element, see the link.  If you have a good remote thermometer that accurately registers freezing and boiling temps (water boils at different temps depending upon your location above sea level), see what your remote thermometer reads versus what you have your smoker set for.   

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/test-element.shtml
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

iamimdoc

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »
Where is the "built in temp probe" please

Thanks

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:25:12 AM »
It’s located on the back wall, towards the top. Usually a few inches above the top rack. Very easy to place a larger cut towards the back and slide the rack in and touch the probe.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:14:38 PM »
It’s located on the back wall, towards the top. Usually a few inches above the top rack. Very easy to place a larger cut towards the back and slide the rack in and touch the probe.

Unless it is an older model then it is located just above with wood box. If up high, it is easy to spear the meat with the probe if you are not careful and that will affect box temp.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

iamimdoc

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
Thanks will check but I should think that would keep the probe colder than the inside of the smoker and hence raise the temp..

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Thanks will check but I should think that would keep the probe colder than the inside of the smoker and hence raise the temp..

I tend to agree with your logic...  combined with fiddling with the rheostat seemed to make a difference for you it makes me wonder if your rheostat needs to be recalibrated.  When you use the auber do you just set the rehostat to max and then the auber controls it?

Maybe check this doc and see if it helps?  https://www.smokin-it.com/v/vspfiles/files/HeatControllerAdjust.pdf
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

iamimdoc

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
Yes temp at max on rheostat

“Wiping” action on rheostat may have helped as temp max now about 240.  Not sure what max for a model 3 is since I usually just go with 225 to cook

I have thought about bypassing the rheostat and this might be necessary.  It seems to be if the temp gets to 215 then the element is working...I have not put a multimeter etc on it yet, though.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »
Not sure what max for a model 3 is since I usually just go with 225 to cook

I believe all of the analog models have a high-set point of 250 which allows them to have a wide temperature swing safely.  My #2 used to have swings of up to 40 degrees which would have put it at 290.  This also still leaves some margin if the analog is set 'hot'.  The digitals all come with a warning to not smoke at greater than 325 or you risk damage.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

iamimdoc

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:18:31 PM »
Follow up

Decided to give the machine a good cleaning

Got the gunk out off the bottom(on a foil liner) and on the little monopoly hotel (foil on the roof) that hols the wood when smoking

At the back found a horizontal round bar with wire attached protected by a metal strap that I presume is the temp “thermostat” for the internal rheostat.  Not gunked up but i gave it a good wiping down

Now

Temp goes to 290 (as suggested above) with no load on a 100 degree day without Auber

With Auber, setting of 225 is spot on after about 20 minutes, also with no load.

Not sure why any of this helps, but seemed to..

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
Glad the smoker is up and running.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle