Author Topic: my 3D won't come on  (Read 3065 times)

stout

my 3D won't come on
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:00:07 AM »
brought it last year around February

set it up last night for a brisket smoke this morning. so i know it came on cause i flipped it on and back off

turned it on again this morning to put in the brisket. walked away for a moment cause i needed to get a light to see better.. came back it was off. and it would not come back on. tried different outlets even checked my breakers.. it's just dead

any insights or info here would be greatly appreciated

Walt

Re: my 3D won't come on
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:01:41 AM »
Remove the back panel. It sounds like a wire parted. Should be a simple and apparent fix.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

stout

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:22:58 AM »
emailed steve he said similar.. but everything looks good back there .. i have the feeling the pid gave up the ghost..

stout

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
still waiting to hear back from steve again on a few other questions i asked him.. but i took the pid off.. not completely, i didn't disconnect it. but everything seemed in order as far as being physically attached and i did give everything a little snugging but still no dice.. if it did short out on a board in the pid though it could be very easy to not see. I'm really figuring that is the problem. don't feel like being out in the hot sun any more today but tomorrow morning i'll take the back off again and give it another look see just in case i missed something the times i looked today

i did notice when i had the back off that the little control box on the bottom corner where all the wires run too and from has what looks like a little red led light on it.. should it light up at any point?cause it doesn't at least not now.. don't know about before cause i never had the back off the think before when it was running

this is what i meant when i said control box

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:57:53 PM by stout »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
Since the SSR is from Auber, they could tell you if there is a system light on it or not.  Something else you might try is to see if voltage is passing from the switch to the board.  If not, bad switch.  Just sort of trouble shooting
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:03:55 AM »
Did you find the problem with your 3D and Did you get it working?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 06:11:44 PM »
Stout, you and your smoker ok?

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

stout

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 11:24:54 AM »
i have not had a great summer lots of family emergencies that kept taking me out of state

but steve stuck through it all with me and put up with my inability to stay in better contact or do things in good time... finally got my smoker up and running...ended up being a bad wire incoming.. that i didn't see on my first inspections.. but my eyes are not what they use to be either... so trimmed it repaired it with a few free parts from steve and we are good to go

great customer service.. which is a very big part of the reasons i went with smoking it in the first place..super friendly and helpful and zero taking advantage of..

on a side note.. if anyone has ever replaced the power cord.. the little black plug that goes around the wire and fills the hole where the wire enters the box.. and good tips on getting that in.. i tried for an hour and never could get it in place... trying going both down from inside and up from outside

Lipster

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
Regarding that strain relief, it can be a bugger on any piece of equipment.
Getting the cord and plastic piece hot helps a ton.
I would unplug it, make a loop and dip the loop and plastic thingie in boiling water for 30 seconds, then use a good pliers and squeeze the assembly into the cabinet hole while it is still hot.

stout

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
that's not a bad idea thanks.. once i have time to get back to it i'm gonna see about that