Author Topic: First smoke, first shoulder, total success  (Read 1746 times)

FinRxDoc

First smoke, first shoulder, total success
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
Today was my first smoke with the #2.  I had  a shoulder in the freezer and thought I should try that out.  I know that you all love the "lazy Q" mentality and let me tell you, I am in, hook, line, and sinker.  OMG that was the easiest thing I have ever cooked.  I started it at 6am, did a ramped temp climb (170 --> 225 after about 40 minutes).  I used 3.5 ounces of hickory and 2 ounces of apple wood chunks.  Not one issue with combustion (foil on 3/4 of the bottom of the smoke box, with chip grate on the top of that).  Really glad I read about the stall because the temp sat in the 180's for about 2 hours.  I trusted all the knowledge shared here and didn't touch it.  Wrapped and into the cooler by 5:30. 

Pulled and ate at 6:30 and let me tell you it was awesome.  I have some work to do on my rub, but overall it was amazing.  This was one of the best purchases I have made lately.  Thanks for all the help!
Patrick from St. Louis, MO
Smokin-It #2
Sunstone Sun 42" 5 burner gas built in

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: First smoke, first shoulder, total success
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:24:16 PM »
Patrick - Glad to hear your first smoke was a tasty success.  These smokers are really set and forget.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First smoke, first shoulder, total success
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »
Thanks for the name, Patrick...Great to meet you!  8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!