Author Topic: Broke down and ordered an InstantPot  (Read 5251 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Broke down and ordered an InstantPot
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Great info, both Daves! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »
Our "Fagor" gets plenty of use, Steamed Shrimp, Veggies, Soup (bean, chicken corn noodle, etc.) It's a handy tool!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 11:51:47 PM »
I'm waiting for the Instant Pot Max to come out. Should be able to do pressure canning in it since it will get to 15 psi.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

1stlink

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 05:32:30 AM »
Instant Pot Max sounds good, as per c/net review: An Instant Pot rep said future versions of the Max will have a sous vide setting that will heat water to a specific temperature for sous vide, but it hasn't yet been made clear whether the first version of the Max will include it.
Still smokin, Ralph

SconnieQ

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Instant Pot Max sounds good, as per c/net review: An Instant Pot rep said future versions of the Max will have a sous vide setting that will heat water to a specific temperature for sous vide, but it hasn't yet been made clear whether the first version of the Max will include it.
Still smokin, Ralph

I saw that. I have an Anova sous vide, and even if the Max comes with sous vide, I think I would still use my Anova (won't tie up the instant pot for 3 days if I am doing a long sous vide like chuck or pork belly). The Anova is so simple that I don't see an advantage to using the Instant Pot for sous vide if I already have the Anova. If you do not already have sous vide though, that will be a nice additional feature. I'm not going to wait for that version of the Max. I'm fine if the early versions just have the pressure canning. As long as they are safe and don't explode at 15 psi. :o
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
YouTube has a video with a demo of the Instant Pot used for Sous Vide. Aside from tying up the pressure cooker for hours or days you don’t get the ‘circulation’ of the water. I imagine an induction type hot plate might be able to dial in an exact temp as well.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 01:15:14 PM »
YouTube has a video with a demo of the Instant Pot used for Sous Vide. Aside from tying up the pressure cooker for hours or days you don’t get the ‘circulation’ of the water. I imagine an induction type hot plate might be able to dial in an exact temp as well.

The current Instant Pots don't do true sous vide. Sous vide requires precise constant temperature, and water circulation. The temperature in the current Instant Pots is not precise enough. Plus there is no circulation like Sarge said, which can cause hot spots. The screw that holds the fan blade on my Anova came loose once, so the fan wasn't spinning, and my Anova temperature readings were going up and down all over the place within seconds, by several degrees. With the heating element on the bottom, I can't imagine that the Instant Pot could keep any kind of accurate temperature without circulation. There has to be a pretty wide range of temperatures between the water near the bottom of the pot, and the surface of the water.

Basically what people are doing in the YouTube videos is "poaching" inside a ziplock bag. So in some cases, you can get "similar" results to sous vide depending on what you are cooking. I'm not sure how they'll solve all of those issues with the new Max model, but seems like a tall order to integrate it into the Instant Pot, especially the circulation aspect. Sous vide seems better suited to a separate appliance. Too darn many mechanicals to break in one appliance if they try to add circulation. The new "stirring" feature they are adding (Nutri-burst) is just simply short spurts of pressure release that agitate the contents when under pressure, so that's already kind of a built-in feature that just requires a separate program. Since sous vide isn't under pressure, not sure how they'll achieve the circulation. Anyway... here's what the Instant Pot website says about sous vide with their current Smart Instant Pot model. Too much fuss. I think I'll stick with my Anova. ;D

"Instant Pot Smart can support limited sous vide cooking when food materials are not too sensitive to temperature.  You need to use our Smart Cooker app to do so. Due to the fact that the thermometer is at the bottom of the inner pot, the detected temperature inside the inner pot is an approximation. Calibration is needed. We did many experiments. With the same volume of water in the inner pot, the temperature can be maintained consistently within +/- 1°C between each runs.  The process of calibration is to set a temperature on the app, say 60°C, for a fix volume of water, run the program, measure the temperature with a thermometer, e.g. getting a 63°C reading, then modify the program to set target temperature to 57°C. For the same volume of water, the new program will be able to maintain the temperature at 60°C +/- 1°C."
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 04:56:49 PM »
I think sticking with the Anova is a smart decision. And I liked your explanation of what those in the video were actually accomplishing. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:43:22 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives