Author Topic: New Member From NY  (Read 2082 times)

Stix

New Member From NY
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:53:20 PM »
Hey everyone, my name is Ted from Newburgh NY & i’m really excited i joined this forum! After extensive research this forum helped me decide that i need a smokin-it smoker rather than a Cookshack. Before I pull the trigger i’m having difficulty deciding between models 2D & 3D. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks & look foward to talking to you all guys & gals!! Happy Smoking!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: New Member From NY
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
Welcome Ted from SE Arizona.  Either smoker will serve you well. Just consider what you will be smoking size wise and choose accordingly.  I like the extra depth of the 3D racks. Coming from a Cookshack with racks measuring 18 X14 inches the extra real estate of the 3D is noticeable and appreciated.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

JustChillin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:00:43 AM »
Welcome Ted. I have a #2 and it has served me well. While I have to cut rib racks into two pieces, it is not a problem. My typical smokes are 3-4 racks of ribs,  two butts, packer briskets ( I cram them in whole) and fish. If you are thinking of smoking substantially more than that, a #3 would make smokes easier. You will love either one.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:01:41 AM »
Ted, Welcome from Texas! Great advice from David. You will never regret going with more real estate.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Ted.  I too agree with old sarge that either smoker will serve you well.   Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
The #3 will fit racks of ribs and whole packer brisket without cutting in half. You might have to cut these in half in the #2. That being said, I have a #1, and always cut these in half, and even feel there is an advantage to smoking the divided brisket flat and point on racks above/below each other. And I don't see a big disadvantage to cutting racks of ribs in half. Either way, you are getting a much better quality smoker for a much better price than the Cookshack. Congrats for finding SI!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
Welcome, Ted!  I went with the #2 and have never regretted it.  I have to cut ribs and generally prefer to cut briskets, though I have just stuffed them in, too.  If you're going to smoke large quantities and/or don't ever want to cut and have the budget/space then go with the 3D.  If you don't want/need that much real estate, want something more compact, and/or a lower price then the 2D will work really well for you.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Walt

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 12:26:01 AM »
I havn't found a brisket too big for the #2 yet. From 13 to 22 lbs.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Stix

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! I’m so excited i found this forum & didn’t go with a cookshack. My only concern was being made in China. But with all the positive reviews i made the decison to go with Smokin-it rather Cookshack. look foward to talking to all you guys!

Durangosmoker

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:15 PM »
Welcome from across the river in Dutchess County; we're practically neighbors! I love my #2 and use it frequently.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
Welcome Ted!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!