Author Topic: Smoked cheddar cheese filled smoked meatballs  (Read 2036 times)

stout

Smoked cheddar cheese filled smoked meatballs
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
about a month ago i smoked a bunch of cheese including several pounds of cheddar. Vac sealed it and let it sit in the fridge for a month. used plenty to make a nice cheese platter for Easter

then i decided to cut some up, about half a pound, in to tiny cubes. mix it up with 5 pounds of 80/20 chop meat some italian seasoned bread crumbs, salt, worcestershire sauce, a couple eggs, and milk. no measurements really just eyeballing whatever felt right

then in to the smoker.. 250 for about an hour and a half

using a little trick i saw mentioned by alton brown .. i formed the balls the placed them in cardboard egg carton bottoms.. it works great .. i highly advise this method.. makes it easy and neat .. then just toss the cartons when done

and they came out great

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Smoked cheddar cheese filled smoked meatballs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »
Love smoked meatballs. Serve with some marinara?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

stout

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:55:59 PM »
Love smoked meatballs. Serve with some marinara?

oh yes indeed...and some angel hair pasta
with more than enough left over for several large heroes

beeflamb

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »
about a month ago i smoked a bunch of cheese including several pounds of cheddar. Vac sealed it and let it sit in the fridge for a month. used plenty to make a nice cheese platter for Easter

then i decided to cut some up, about half a pound, in to tiny cubes. mix it up with 5 pounds of 80/20 chop meat some italian seasoned bread crumbs, salt, worcestershire sauce, a couple eggs, and milk. no measurements really just eyeballing whatever felt right

then in to the smoker.. 250 for about an hour and a half

using a little trick i saw mentioned by alton brown .. i formed the balls the placed them in cardboard egg carton bottoms.. it works great .. i highly advise this method.. makes it easy and neat .. then just toss the cartons when done

and they came out great

Want to try that too!  So, did you form meatballs using egg's cardboard package?
How big your meatballs and what was the final internal temp?
And...will meatballs stick to the metal grid while smoking?

Thanks
Michael smoking on S1