Author Topic: Question about this brisket  (Read 3208 times)

shrews824

Question about this brisket
« on: March 26, 2018, 03:45:44 PM »
Just had a beef killed and processed.  Got this brisket out of the deal.  Vacuum sealed and packed frozen.  What do you guys/gals think?  What would be the best way to prep and smoke this?  I know it's difficult to tell from the pictures.  I have no idea of the weight or anything.  This will be my first go with a brisket on my Smokin'-It #2.  Tried a brisket on my old Masterbuilt and it didn't turn out too well. 

Thanks in advance. 

Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about this brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »
I don't brine but you may want to look up a brine recipe .  I smoke fat side down at 225 to an IT of 195/200.  My rub is a simple mix of garlic powder, Kosher salt, black pepper, and brown sugar.  Make sure your probe is in meat and not the layer of fat. If that was a full packer I would feel more comfortable giving advice.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

shrews824

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
I don't brine but you may want to look up a brine recipe .  I smoke fat side down at 225 to an IT of 195/200.  My rub is a simple mix of garlic powder, Kosher salt, black pepper, and brown sugar.  Make sure your probe is in meat and not the layer of fat. If that was a full packer I would feel more comfortable giving advice.

Appreciate the tip Old Sarge.  Yeah, it doesn't "look" like a normal brisket.  I guess that's what's throwing me for a bit of a loop.  I thought maybe someone would have experience smoking a brisket from a freshly processed beef. 

Either way, I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:35:31 PM »
Good luck.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »
Scott, that does look like an odd cut!  Best thing to do is head over to the beef section and find a briskie recipe that strikes you.  Not trying to deflect, but we have a lot of varied opinions on how to cook brisket, and there are some very good variations!  No matter if the cut looks weird, it's still beef, and (hopefully) from the chest area where the brisket comes from!  So, it should smoke like a brisket, albeit a funny looking one! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

shrews824

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
Scott, that does look like an odd cut!  Best thing to do is head over to the beef section and find a briskie recipe that strikes you.  Not trying to deflect, but we have a lot of varied opinions on how to cook brisket, and there are some very good variations!  No matter if the cut looks weird, it's still beef, and (hopefully) from the chest area where the brisket comes from!  So, it should smoke like a brisket, albeit a funny looking one! ;)
Yeah, that is an odd looking piece isn't it?  I'll give it a go.  Maybe I'll just season the thing with a salt/pepper rub, throw the meat probe in, let her go, and hope for the best!!! 

Thanks for the advice.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Your plan will work fine, Scott.  I highly recommend brining, especially for a smaller one like that.  Use my butt brine (hehe...always makes me chuckle), which is a sticky on the pork page.  12 hours, with a good rinse before the salt/pepper and smoke.  It will help retain the moisture.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
Your plan will work fine, Scott.  I highly recommend brining, especially for a smaller one like that.  Use my butt brine (hehe...always makes me chuckle), which is a sticky on the pork page.  12 hours, with a good rinse before the salt/pepper and smoke.  It will help retain the moisture.

+1 on brining. I use Tony's butt brine on everything from pork, beef and even chicken with great results. Its a great multipurpose brine. 8)
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

shrews824

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »

I'll give the brine a try.  Hopefully I can give it a go this weekend!!!
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2

shrews824

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »

+1 on brining. I use Tony's butt brine on everything from pork, beef and even chicken with great results. Its a great multipurpose brine. 8)
Thanks.  I'll look at some different brines and see what's simple and easy enough.  I've only ever brined turkeys and chickens.  Never brined any beef or pork.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2