Author Topic: Had a masterbuilt, a bradley, have a kamado joe, time for the model 1?  (Read 6213 times)

kevreh

Hi everyone.... The masterbuilt gave me good results despite its issues. Control panel melted down on one, issue with element on another. Had the Bradley for a season, hated being nickeled and dimed on their pucks (which are also moisture sensitive)

Got the kamado joe last year. While I think it’s great for grilling, not thrilled as a smoker. Just can’t get the same intensity of smoke as my masterbuilt got. Have others had this issue? I remember hearing something about eggs not being as good for smoking.

Folks over at amazing ribs.com poo poo electric smokers. But maybe their puritans and only use wood in an offset.

Model 1 looks solid. Don’t want fancy digital controls (I have an Auburn’s style pid controller for my kamado joe, can’t really say it makes for better smoking).

Model 1 is in my budget and size might be perfect for the monthly 12lb butt or couple racks of ribs. ?

This isn’t the right place to ask probably, bias and all, but has anyone compared their smokin-it’s to the Weber (wsm) or other popular charcoal/wood smokers? Is there much of a trade off?

Guess that’s all, just thinking this through.

Thanks,
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:24:07 PM by kevreh »

TX Gent

Re: Had a masterbuilt, have a kamado joe, model 1?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Howdy kevreh and welcome to the forum.

Smokin-it smokers are a different breed of cat to the stick and charcoal way off smoking. First they are a quick to setup and one can go do something else. What I mean is you can do an overnight and forget it until the morning. Much less variables and with practice very predictable and repeatable results. Basically, easy smoking and that leads to smoking more often and usually at a lower cost over time.
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:05:02 AM »
Kevin,
My first smoker was a bullet style and talk about a PITA!  Tending to second tier meat rack was never easy.

The motto around here is, "Lazy Q".  The Smokin-It smokers are the crock pot of smokers.  Add wood only once and come back later to ready to eat smoked food.  It's not the perfect smoker but very solid and easy to use. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
I’ve had my 3D for a little over a year and have really liked it. As others have said, it’s so easy to use. Over night you can sleep or during the day you can be out getting things done. Set it and basically for get it!

During that time, I’ve also done some BBQ with a cheaper kettle grill I purchased. I’ve added a slow n sear that turns it into a 2zone smoker and can do anything overnight if needed.  I use it though for grilling/searing when I want the flavor profile it provides but for smoking my 3D is just hard to beat. Quality results every time and depending on where you set it up, you can cook in any weather and still get the same results.

I also have something similar to a Smokey mountain. I have t used it since I got the 3D, just to throw that out there.

Hope that helps. But enjoy whichever way you go.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
I used a Grill Dome (comparable to a BGE) for years and bought the SI2 a couple of years ago. I much prefer the SI for the excellent results and ease of use.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:02:05 PM »
Kevin - My first ever smoke was in a Weber kettle in the '70's. It was more or less indirect cooking with wood chips for the smoke. I next tried an inexpensive vertical bullet style but had difficulty with keeping the coals going so I stuck with the kettle till I bought an offset.  Great smoker; got old and to lazy to tend to long over night smokes.  Went with a cookshack electric and never looked back.  Now using the Smoking-it.  Nothing could be simpler or more reliably consistent.  Is there a trade off?  Yes. No smoke ring and n getting up in the middle of the night to refuel or move meat around.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

kevreh

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
Yeah, I agree that the electrics are a lot less hassle than keeping an eye on something like a kamado. I miss that from my old masterbuilt. Ended up here because I was thinking of getting another one but at a higher quality point.

What’s the temp swings with the analog dial? I don’t mind too much about a few degrees, doesn’t really matter imho.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
From the FAQ section:
Q: What is the major difference between the analog smoker and the digital smoker?
A: With the standard analog controller you will see normal temperature swings up to +/-25°. You will see this more at the start of the smoke due to the cold food being placed in the smoker and the smoker working to get up to temperature. The analog controller will reach 250°F.
The digital controller will hold the temperature within +/-3°. The digital controller will reach 325°F. It will let you set the temperature and the time for your smoke, with a total of 6 settings. Please not to never place the probe under water to be cleaned. This will cause it to fail.

Lots more info on the Store site under the heading 'For The Customer'.  As for the temp swings with the analog, it all averages out in the end.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

kevreh

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 05:21:19 PM »
Thanks for that, I’ll head on over to take a read.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 11:51:16 PM »
Let me chime in here as a former WSM enthusiast. WSM is how I got my start in smoking. Loved it for about 15 years. I always thought when I bought by WSM that I'd be a "few times a summer" smoker. I found I enjoyed smoking foods so much that I was smoking much more often. It was too much of a pain to smoke in the winter though. And although I sometimes enjoyed puttering around with spritzing and mopping, I didn't enjoy the first several hours of adjusting vents to get a consistent temperature. And by consistent, I mean anything between 215 and 275 was acceptable. Talk about temp swings. Plus, I did not enjoy the Maverick going off every few hours while I was sleeping because it might go above or below the generous temp range I had set, and having to get up and adjust the vents, only to be awoken a couple hours later because of an over/under vent adjustment. Or other times, when the outdoor temp was low, or if was windy, additional babysitting was necessary. Definitely a science to all of that. It was seeing Masterbuilt on QVC that got me interested in electric smokers. I did some research and soon discovered how crappy Masterbuilts were made, and found the SI. I still have my WSM, and have not used it one time since I got my SI. I have a certain nostalgia for the WSM, and should probably sell it, but it was my first... And I still think I might use it again one day if I need to smoke for a large crowd. Everything in the SI has been superior in moisture and flavor. No spritzing or mopping. The SI holds moisture very well. And because you are not using charcoal, you can really taste the nuances of the wood smoke and species. With the SI, you can buy any wood chunks you want. No having to buy special pellets or pucks from the manufacturer. The sky is the limit for wood choices. Don't worry about the temp swings in the Model 1. They are no problem for BBQ. Conventional wood and charcoal smokers have much larger temp swings, and that's what is used for competition BBQ. Sometimes simple is better. The size of the #1 sounds like it will fit your needs. It is just right for me. I enjoy the ease of use, and getting some sleep. And, I smoke all winter long. I smoke in my #1 on my back screen porch, and can smoke in a blizzard if I want.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:54:59 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:19 AM »
What’s the temp swings with the analog dial? I don’t mind too much about a few degrees, doesn’t really matter imho.

As was already posted, the temp swing on the analog is +/- 25 degrees.  However, I've had the #2 for ~1.5 years and the temp swing has never mattered for me.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
Hi Kevin!  As you can see, we're pretty partial to the SIs around here!  I, too, started off with a #1.  I gave the same rationale that you did (but you can do 3 racks of ribs, laid flat).  Although I really liked the results, I soon regretted the size.  Not going with at least a model 2 was a mistake, for me.  Although I usually just do a small portion (one pork butt, a few racks of ribs, etc.), I hated not having the option to do more at one time!  Today, my #2 still gets the bulk of the work, but my 3D does the job of no other smoker when I want to do full racks of ribs or a packer brisket (or 4 or 5 pork butts, etc...). 

My advice? Go with the biggest model your budget can handle.  You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but a #1 seriously restricts your options for what you can smoke with cutting it into multiple parts.  Whichever way you go, it is the best decision in the brand of smoker on the market today!  Unlike Meathead, Jeff Phillips kept an open mind and now has a #2 that he really likes.  Best Q you can make, with the least amount of effort!  That means you WILL use it more!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

kevreh

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
Hi Kevin!  As you can see, we're pretty partial to the SIs around here!  I, too, started off with a #1.  I gave the same rationale that you did (but you can do 3 racks of ribs, laid flat).  Although I really liked the results, I soon regretted the size.  Not going with at least a model 2 was a mistake, for me.  Although I usually just do a small portion (one pork butt, a few racks of ribs, etc.), I hated not having the option to do more at one time!  Today, my #2 still gets the bulk of the work, but my 3D does the job of no other smoker when I want to do full racks of ribs or a packer brisket (or 4 or 5 pork butts, etc...). 

My advice? Go with the biggest model your budget can handle.  You can always smoke less in a larger unit, but a #1 seriously restricts your options for what you can smoke with cutting it into multiple parts.  Whichever way you go, it is the best decision in the brand of smoker on the market today!  Unlike Meathead, Jeff Phillips kept an open mind and now has a #2 that he really likes.  Best Q you can make, with the least amount of effort!  That means you WILL use it more!

Yeah I think I’ll go with the #2. These things are built well and I should get plenty of use. Too bad the wattage is twice as much, but it amounts to a few cents. Like you, 80% of the time the #1 would be fine, it’s just that other 20%. 8)

kevreh

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 10:19:39 PM »
Let me chime in here as a former WSM enthusiast. WSM is how I got my start in smoking. Loved it for about 15 years. I always thought when I bought by WSM that I'd be a "few times a summer" smoker. I found I enjoyed smoking foods so much that I was smoking much more often. It was too much of a pain to smoke in the winter though. And although I sometimes enjoyed puttering around with spritzing and mopping, I didn't enjoy the first several hours of adjusting vents to get a consistent temperature. And by consistent, I mean anything between 215 and 275 was acceptable. Talk about temp swings. Plus, I did not enjoy the Maverick going off every few hours while I was sleeping because it might go above or below the generous temp range I had set, and having to get up and adjust the vents, only to be awoken a couple hours later because of an over/under vent adjustment. Or other times, when the outdoor temp was low, or if was windy, additional babysitting was necessary. Definitely a science to all of that. It was seeing Masterbuilt on QVC that got me interested in electric smokers. I did some research and soon discovered how crappy Masterbuilts were made, and found the SI. I still have my WSM, and have not used it one time since I got my SI. I have a certain nostalgia for the WSM, and should probably sell it, but it was my first... And I still think I might use it again one day if I need to smoke for a large crowd. Everything in the SI has been superior in moisture and flavor. No spritzing or mopping. The SI holds moisture very well. And because you are not using charcoal, you can really taste the nuances of the wood smoke and species. With the SI, you can buy any wood chunks you want. No having to buy special pellets or pucks from the manufacturer. The sky is the limit for wood choices. Don't worry about the temp swings in the Model 1. They are no problem for BBQ. Conventional wood and charcoal smokers have much larger temp swings, and that's what is used for competition BBQ. Sometimes simple is better. The size of the #1 sounds like it will fit your needs. It is just right for me. I enjoy the ease of use, and getting some sleep. And, I smoke all winter long. I smoke in my #1 on my back screen porch, and can smoke in a blizzard if I want.

Kari from mad-town  :) Do they still call it that? Yeah your WSM experience is like mine with the kamado...fun for messing around with but not a set and forget. I know some folks with eggs say they set them up and run them overnight,but I’m not there yet.

You know speaking of the masterbuilts, you have to say at least they get people to try smokers at a decent price point. But, like grills an $800 Weber genesis is going to last a lot longer than a $400 brand.

So do you think the charcoal cancels out or undermines the taste of the wood? Maybe that’s why I haven’t gotten the same intense Smokey flavor with my kamado joe. ?

Temp swings....I’m not convinced that a 20 degree swing here and there makes for inferior meat. All for keeping it simple with a dial vs digital.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:27:34 PM by kevreh »

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 01:37:31 AM »
Kari from mad-town  :) Do they still call it that? Yeah your WSM experience is like mine with the kamado...fun for messing around with but not a set and forget. I know some folks with eggs say they set them up and run them overnight,but I’m not there yet.

You know speaking of the masterbuilts, you have to say at least they get people to try smokers at a decent price point. But, like grills an $800 Weber genesis is going to last a lot longer than a $400 brand.

So do you think the charcoal cancels out or undermines the taste of the wood? Maybe that’s why I haven’t gotten the same intense Smokey flavor with my kamado joe. ?

Temp swings....I’m not convinced that a 20 degree swing here and there makes for inferior meat. All for keeping it simple with a dial vs digital.

People still call it Mad-town, but mostly people who don't live in Mad-town. Just like no one who lives in San Francisco would ever call it Frisco. ;D I don't have any trouble with the temp swings. The digital models are nice for low temp and cold smoking, but I have techniques for that that are not difficult, or you can just get an A-MAZE-N to use inside the #1. I do think that charcoal makes the smoke flavor more generic and masks the wood flavor. You might try using more wood in your kamado.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide