Author Topic: First attempt and two pork butts  (Read 2361 times)

chrisjadams

First attempt and two pork butts
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »
Last weekend, I took my first attempt at smoking more than one thing at a time in my 2D.  The subjects of this run were two prime pork butts, one of about 8.5 lbs and the other a touch over 9 lbs. 

Intended to get to the butcher shop early Friday, so I could get them in a brine, but that didn't happen.  So... at the butcher's at 5:30pm, and in a brine (similar to the one in Lazy-Q) just before 6pm.  Had plans for a Saturday feast for about 5pm, so I knew I had to get them smoking before I turned in.  So... brined less than I wanted (about 6 hours), but in the smoker they went just before midnight.  Quickly looked through the forum that evening and found that several members recommended putting the larger piece on the bottom, which I did (awesome to be able to gather info from this forum at all hours of the night).  Covered with a local supplier's rub, can of apple juice, set at 225F, with the 2D probe in the larger piece (bottom rack) then put a probe from a "Smoke" thermometer in each piece and turned in.

Something that I noticed was that the bottom piece initially climbed much quicker in temp (like a 20F difference).  I initially thought I had maybe probed by a bone.  But as the smoke went on, the temp of the two pieces got closer and closer together.  Close as in by the time 190F was hit (did pulled pork), they were a couple tenths of a degree from other!

Took a method from a member and made boats for my wood.  That sure made clean up easier!

Total cook time was 15 hours (had turned down to 205F in the morning to slow things down a touch), with about 2.5 hours of rest (foil, towel, cooler).  The results, as I hoped for them to be, were nothing short of delicious!  The simplicity of brining, putting in, and not touching has made smoking something that I want to do often, not just for a special occasion.  Did an IP camera again, shooting at both the 2D and the Smoke displays, so as I ran out a few times on Saturday, I could still watch temps.  Think that's going to be my usual process going forward.

Every guest was amazed, with several that claimed to be Q eating fanatics saying it was some of the best pulled pork they'd ever had.  Not sure about the best, but I'll take it, and considering that seconds and thirds where had... they, as I, were very happy!
Chris
Chandler, Arizona
Engineer, Scuba Instructor, International Scout lover, and Smoker
SI 2D

"Take the time it takes.  It takes less time."

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: First attempt and two pork butts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:16:49 PM »
Your first butt smoke sounds like it went just right. I find the same sort of temp difference when I smoke a whole packer brisket, cut into two pieces to fit in my #1. The two pieces can be pretty far apart in temperature in the beginning, but they end up right where they should be in the end. A good lesson not to panic early on.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:59:54 PM »
Butts with bark!  Excellent.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:52 PM »
Nice work Chris, I would like to get a second probe as well. Almost a necessity with large pieces of meat.
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill

shrews824

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »
Looking good.
Scott
Hardinsburg, KY
Smokin'-It Model #2
Beautiful wife and daughter that are my world.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 06:53:43 PM »
BOOM!  Just like that, you're a member of Club Lazy Q!  Great start, Chris!  That IS what we love about it...it's easy to make great BBQ, and that makes us want to do it more often!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!