Author Topic: Babies today  (Read 2865 times)

es1025

Babies today
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
1 oz of apple wood, temp 236, 4.5 hours to perfection. Trying spritzing today, at hour 2, 3, and 4. Something new...
Final product pics to follow.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Babies today
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
1 oz? Holy carp! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

es1025

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
The girls like light smoke.
Ed from Northern NJ

es1025

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »
No even picture worthy. Smoked for 4:30, rested for 30 minutes. Ribs were dry. Complete failure. I think 4:00 and then wrap. Only good thing my new rub was really good.
Ed from Northern NJ

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:34:11 AM »
No even picture worthy. Smoked for 4:30, rested for 30 minutes. Ribs were dry. Complete failure. I think 4:00 and then wrap. Only good thing my new rub was really good.

I have a couple theories. You might have lost a lot of moisture due to opening the door 3 times for spritzing. I think spritzing is counter-productive with these smokers. Did you use a water pan next to the wood box? Also, 4:30 seems like they might have been undercooked, not overcooked. Especially If you opened the door 3 times. You lost a lot of heat, and it takes a while for the heat to recover. In my opinion, every time you open the door, you should add 30 minutes to your cook time. So 4:30 would be pretty short for opening the door that much. It's best to keep the heat consistent in order to convert the connective tissue into gelatin. For me baby backs take around 5 hours, 225, no peek or wrap. Sometimes 5.5 hours. I think a lot of people equate tough with dry. If they weren't cooked enough for the tough connective tissue to convert to gelatin, they would seem dry. The meat would be firm, and the gelatin has not formed yet, so the muscle tissues would lack moisture. Gelatin is what gives tough cuts of meat that unctuous moist melty mouth feel.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »
Besides losing heat when opening the smoker you lose moisture that emanates from the meat.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »
Ed, I agree with Kari and Dave completely!  Spritzing, opening, yada, yada, yada, is SO counter-productive with these smokers!  I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  I have to say that no-peek ribs, with a water pan for the right amount of time, are fantastic!  One thing to keep in mind, too, is that sometimes it's the meat!  I have tried a different source of ribs before, and they were definitely not up to standards.  The source of the meat does matter!

Bottom line?  ...Stick with the formula that just "works!"
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:06:59 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. The one thing i have noticed since i installed the permanent probe, my smoking times are different from the hanging probe. I will try again using no peeky. I am thinking 4:15 and then check. I never did think about the meat.
Ed from Northern NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
Ed, I had to waste a few rib smokes with no peek to figure out that it just wasn't for me.  Give it a few more tries and then feel welcome to come over to the dark side. Lol.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
I will comply Lord Vader!
Ed from Northern NJ