Author Topic: Mrs C here from Central KY  (Read 1402 times)

Mrs C

Mrs C here from Central KY
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:07:06 AM »
We received our D-4 on Tuesday, did the slow burn off and prepped for the 1st Run by rubbing 6 racks of Saint Louis Cut ribs and letting them rest in the Fridge overnight.  Wednesday we loaded the slabs into the "Magnificent D-4" (I name all my appliances)  Used the preset P2 for ribs and off it went.  In the meantime I prepared my Chili baked beans and my Spicy Mac and Cheese.  When the time display got to 2.5 hours left to go we quickly opened up the Magnificent D-4 and placed the side dishes into it on the very top rack that I had reserved for this purpose.   When the Alarm sounded we were like Pavlov's dogs!  I kid you not!  We transferred the ribs to our warming drawer and let them rest for 15 minutes at 140 degrees.  They turned out magnificent, ergo the name....  The mac and cheese had absorbed too much of the creamy sauce to our liking so I need to do some more calculating on that, but was still very good.  The pinto beans that I use to make the baked beans should have been cooked just a hair more before being placed in the smoker.  I thought they would cook a little more than they actually did in the smoker.  They were just a tad hard, but still quite edible.  We gave away a couple of racks to a friend and now he's contaminated with the Smokin-It fever.  Do we get points for referrals???  So all in all I would say our first Smokin-It was a Smoking Success with our Magnificent D-4!!  Yesterday we prepped two Pork Butts and at 9:30 last night inserted them into the Magnificent D-4 selected the preset P1 program and shortly after we went off to bed.   At 6:00 am the probe was at 166 degrees.  At 8:30 am it was at 164.  Oh noooo, the dreaded stall.   Never fear, at 9:30 it was back up to 166 and now at 9:40 the Magnificent D-4 is in a steady heat wave up to 169 degrees.  Time will tell if the Magnificent D-4 will beat the 14 hour clock and get to 195 degrees by 11:30, but who's counting, right?  If all goes well we are having a pulled pork party around 6:00 p.m.  Everyone is welcome, but you have to BYOB...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:44:18 AM by Mrs C »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Mrs C here from Central KY
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
Congratulations on your first smoke. These smokers are petty much hands off once the food and wood go in. If you are used to fussing around with a smoker, moving meat, adding wood, mopping and spritzing, using a SI smoker can be pretty boring.  I do my butts and briskets at night so I can sleep. Ribs?  Yard work or during spring and summer, I watch a baseball game. Wash the cars, anything to pass the time.  Such a simple way to get good Q.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Mrs C

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
Thank you Dave!  All the information you gave me really helped make it a success.  I'm looking forward to many more Smokes.  We bought a case of Baby Back ribs so we are stocking up.....lol  We got a super deal on them at 2.18 a pound and our Butts were only 1.29 a pound.  We have a Butch Shop about 30 minutes from us which helps!

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »
Congratulations and Welcome Mrs. C, It sounds like you are off to a great start!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Mrs. C.   You have found the right place for great recipes and advice.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:44:59 PM »
Off to the races, Mrs C!  8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!