Author Topic: Sous Vide coming along  (Read 1959 times)

barelfly

Sous Vide coming along
« on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:07 AM »
I’ve been able to use the Anova on four different proteins since nice I’ve had it. And I must say I really like the functionality of this Thing! First wa salmon that turned out really well. This week I’ve used it three days in a row. First, lean pork chops from Costco that turned out ok but I seared a bit much on the cast iron and they turned out dry. Then chicken breasts that were close to perfect - fork tender and moist with a nice sear from the cast iron.

Tonight, I tried my hand at ribeye. Prime ribeye since the grocery store had it and I was making dinner for my brother in law, who I haven’t seen in a few years.

Cooked at 130* for 2.5 hours, patted dry, rubbed with olive oil and Chicago steak seasoning and seared on the gasser. Made a red wine and port reduction to go with and sides were risotto and green bean almondine. This was just about perfect but I do wish I would have seared in the cast iron vs the grill to get the browning a cast iron provides.

I am sold on the Anova. I tell my wife it’s basicslly my version of a crock pot or instant pot! 
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

JustChillin

Re: Sous Vide coming along
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:46:08 AM »
Excellent job!
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Sous Vide coming along
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »
Easy to get hooked!  It's the only way I'll cook steaks anymore.  I, personally, don't favor a cast iron sear on a steak (love the BBQ flavor), but I also have a searing burner, so it sears well, quickly.  I sear chicken breasts in a little olive oil and butter, in the cast iron (doing that tonight, as a matter of fact), and they are the best!  An alternative way to sear on charcoal is to use a charcoal lighter with a grill grate on top...super hot & quick, but more work than the searing burner on the grill.

Sous vide is certainly not the solution to cooking everything, like some insinuate, but it is fantastic on the right things! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!