Author Topic: New guy from Canada  (Read 1815 times)

Hank R

New guy from Canada
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Glad to of found the forum I was pointed this way by Old Sarge.  I am a real new guy to smoking like first time, Joined up with Smoking meats forum last week and learn a little and Old Sarge helped me with pointers about different smokes so now I am here .
I alive in Princeton BC Canada have over 2ft of snow on the ground and 0 outside.  I have a gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/smoker tray. for the last 3 years have been trying to BBQ Smoke Ribs.  Have learned that a BBQ is not a smoker the costly way so Old Sarge recomended Smoke-it.

Will have many many questions
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

JustChillin

Re: New guy from Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »
Welcome! You are at the right site. I have had an SI2 for 1+ years and love it. It makes smoking a pleasure and the results are always wonderful.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
Welcome, Hank, from the Hudson Valley. You've come to the right place if you are looking for information, and we are always happy to meet our northern neighbors.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Hank R

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:10 PM »
I started out by thinking I wanted to smoke Ribs. Thought I could use my Big Chief and smoke ribs for 5 or 6 hrs then finish on BBQ??  But in the real world that is not going to work. Then I thought just go to a big box store and buy a smoker but then everyone has to make changes and corrections so it works and that is not going to happen so  I was told about Smoke-it, just looking at a couple of models they seen like they are very great. I would be smoking for 4 to 10 people if I can learn how most of the time. I would like a turn key smoker  Just place wood in add meat set Time and Temp, and enjoy the rest of the day. Now I have lots of reading and learning to do before I can buy if I can here in Canada???
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:56:50 PM by Hank R »
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
Welcome Hank from SE Arizona.  Glad to see you made it over here.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
Welcome Hank! You have come to the right place. Old Sarge did not do you wrong. BC is pretty cold, and you want to smoke year-round. When I used my WSM, I never smoked year-round, because it was difficult to keep the vents right to accommodate for the temp, wind, etc. The SI lets me smoke dead winter in Wisconsin, while letting the smoker do the work. And smoke flavor is just as good, if not better than my upright charcoal water smoker. I have come to really enjoy winter smoking. There's nothing that takes the chill off of the winter blues and make you think spring more than some nice smokey ribs!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
Welcome, again, Hank!  Glad to have you with us!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Hank.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Hank R

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:56:25 AM »
Thanks everyone seems like this is a great place to hang out and learn about smokers.  I know I will be buying one just which one. ;)
Smokin-It #1
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

Airchair

• Court
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:21:15 AM »
Welcome to the SI forum Hank. I struggled with trying to decide which smoker as well. You can't go wrong with any model, but I decided to go with the 3D. Its been the best for us and our needs. Spend a little more to get a little more space. There isn't a need to cut meat to fit in the smoker.

Happy Picking

Court
Court
Phoenix, AZ
SI 3D, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle Grill