Author Topic: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast  (Read 11226 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
Started a 60 day dry-aged bone-in Choice Black Angus whole prime rib roast yesterday in an Umai bag. Bones covered with parchment paper to prevent punctures. $6.77 per pound at Pick N Save. I'll let you know how it is end of February. Not sure if I will smoke or roast. Maybe both since it is about 19 pounds, I could make 2 good size roasts. I'm hoping for an intense beefy/mushroomy flavor, with maybe a hint of cheese. We shall see. This is a really large piece of meat with the bone-in, so I think it should handle the 60 days just fine. FYI I used the largest Umai bag (Short Loin/Brisket 16x28in).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:07:35 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TX Gent

Re: 60-day Umai Dry-aged Choice bone-in Rib Roast
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
I'll be following your results and looking forward to the results. If your not preparing for a large gathering could cut in half and smoke one and roast other to establish taste profiles. All the best and good luck....
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

SconnieQ

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
I'll be following your results and looking forward to the results. If your not preparing for a large gathering could cut in half and smoke one and roast other to establish taste profiles. All the best and good luck....

That's what I was thinking, roast 1/2, smoke 1/2. I haven't gone as long as 60 days yet, so I definitely want to roast, so I can better judge the flavor of the aging, without the additional smoke flavor.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SconnieQ

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »
28 days in.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:49:42 AM »
Looking good!

I am looking forward to hearing how this goes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing Kari. Your photos from previous as well as the advice you have given are great! thanks and cant wait to hear what you think of the additional time aging.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

TX Gent

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Looking good! Time flies ... fly's or well 28 and counting!
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
That's a big prime rib! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 12:06:23 AM »
45 days in. Looks almost identical to the 28 day pictures. The top of the roast is pretty much all fat, so I took a picture of the side, which has a mix of meat and fat, so you can see the color of the meat as compared to the fat. Changes are more subtle between 28 and 45 days, with the meat getting darker, and roast getting a bit more firm. Not as much evaporation going on at this point with the well established crust.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 01:05:17 AM »
Looks great Kari!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:03:14 AM »
Kari, that  rib roast is looking real nice.  If you decide to smoke part and roast part, here is a lengthy video (enjoyable) that you might like to watch.

http://www.pbs.org/video/cooking-concert-julia-child-and-jacques-pepin-create-classic-holiday-meal/
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 03:56:12 AM »
Kari, that  rib roast is looking real nice.  If you decide to smoke part and roast part, here is a lengthy video (enjoyable) that you might like to watch.

http://www.pbs.org/video/cooking-concert-julia-child-and-jacques-pepin-create-classic-holiday-meal/

I thought I had seen just about every Jacques and Julia, but I hadn't seen that one yet. It was a good reminder to make yorkshire pudding to go with my prime rib.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:39:34 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Kari.  The first time I watched it I thought for sure the glass cups  for the Yorkshire pudding would crack after being heated.  I have always enjoyed watching those two work together.  There is another under the cooking in concert where they do a turkey. Always enjoyable.  Good luck on your roast!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Kari.  The first time I watched it I thought for sure the glass cups  for the Yorkshire pudding would crack after being heated.  I have always enjoyed watching those two work together.  There is another under the cooking in concert where they do a turkey. Always enjoyable.  Good luck on your roast!

I actually own a popover pan, and make them quite often. Sometimes also using the pyrex custard cups, or small stoneware ramekins. I'll look for the turkey video. I've seen the one they did on public television, but not the "in concert" one.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Looking pretty crusty!  My patience would be wearing pretty darn thin by now... ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!