Author Topic: looking for advice on smoking whole ducks in a 3d  (Read 1801 times)

stout

looking for advice on smoking whole ducks in a 3d
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
i have obtained 3 nice  whole ducks all between 6 and 6 and a half pounds.
i plan to smoke them for Christmas dinner

i have a 3d they will i believe all fit sideways on a single rack.. but i can split them over multiple racks if that is advised

since ducks are small i don't know that i will find good purchase for the 3d's temp probe .. so i would rather smoke them to time than temp and probe them with an instant read probe when i believe they should be done..

the main question i have is with 3 6-ish pound ducks in at once how long should i smoke them?

i'm thinking 3 hours
as i have done a 12 pound turkey in about that time and regularly do 10 pounds of chicken quarters in closer to 2 and a half hours

if it makes a difference they will indeed be brined.. and i can start them at any time of the day so there will be time to wrap them and let them settle for some time

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: looking for advice on smoking whole ducks in a 3d
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »
The problem with duck is the leg quarters and breast cook in a hugely different manner and texture. The breast is best medium rare, the Leg quarters are inedible medium rare.

I would make confit from the leg quarters, generously salt them with kosher salt. Layer them in a large bowl with some smashed garlic and your favorite fresh herbs. Press them down with a plate and keep them overnight in the fridge. The next day rinse them under cold water and pat dry. Allow them to hang out in the fridge uncovered to fully dry, about 4 to six hours. Cold smoke with a few ounces of your favorite wood for another four hours.
Place the smoked duck in an oven safe dish, it is OK to stack or overlap them if necessary. Using the smallest container as possible saves the amount of fat you need. Cover the meat completely with melted lard. Duck fat is best but lard works fine and is a lot cheaper. Set the oven for 200 and let the meat roast in the fat overnight. You will wake up to a kitchen smelling wonderful. Remove the meat from the fat and allow it to cool. It can be eaten as is but is best after chilling then crisping in a hot skillet. The cooking oil can be reserved and used for frying potato. 

You can de-bone the breasts and cold smoke them for color and flavor. Score the skin and start them skin side down in a hot skillet. Allow them to render some prior to flipping, finsh in a 400 oven if necessary. IT should be in the 130's.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud