Author Topic: Anova Black Friday WiFi + Bluetooth $119  (Read 3027 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:23:06 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Anova Black Friday WiFi + Bluetooth $119
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
Great deal. Wish I could get enthused over that style of food prep. Guess I am just set in my ways. Thanks for sharing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
I also saw this deal today. I’ve been doing some reading on this style of cooking and have some interest but I don’t know if I can pull the trigger on this. I can see the benefits of having this for reheating smoked food and such, but I don’t know if I could do this for regular cooks???? Hmmmmmm - off to keep reading up on this.

Quick question, it seems as if the WiFi function doesnt’ work well according to the reviews. I don’t know if I would need the WiFi function. Have you had an issues with the WiFi?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

JustChillin

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:04:14 AM »
I am like David, not really interested in venturing into another method of cooking but thanks for posting. It looks like a real bargain.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

Walt

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
Even for those of you not looking to expand your cooking techniques, this is an amazing way to reheat, if you vacume seal leftovers. Drop the bag in a pot of water and dial it up to your desired IT and wait. Leftover fish & items cooked to med or med/rare are reheated to perfection. A challenge for many. Its also great if you want to par smoke something for a few hours, vaccum seal it.....take it to cook much easier elswhere without having to bring your smoker, only the Anova (which is the size of a stick blender). Its also a great (extremely simple) cooking tool in its own right.

I have the Wi-Fi version but have never had the need to use wifi, yet. Theoretically, you could convert a small ice chest, drop your dinner in it with ice, turn it on remotely from the office & come home to a warm dinner. Since I'm retired, someone else will have to do the experiments with that...

Food for thought.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
I have the WiFi, and have not had issues. Then again, I don't think there is a real need to control the unit remotely through WiFi. I just use the WiFi connection for setting the temperature to tenths of a degree (my dial on the unit only goes in increments half degrees). And maybe use the WiFi features just for the fun of it. I would think the bluetooth might be the one that has issues, since bluetooth is notorious for having trouble with walls, and range beyond 10-30 feet. With the Anova, you really don't need any sort of remote connection to tell you the truth. It's a set the temp, toss the food in, and forget it. Since timing is not critical for most cooks, there's no real need to monitor anything. Timing is only critical for things like fish and eggs, so for short cooks, you can just use any timer once you've set the temp, preheated and dropped the food in.

I use mine pretty regularly. Like Walt said... my favorite uses are for perfectly cooked moist fish, perfect medium rare steaks without the gray overcooked outer ring, 4-day chuck roast for poor man's prime rib, juicy low and slow tenderizing of cheap tough cuts of meat like pork belly, pork shoulder, various cuts of beef like cheeks, tongue, tri-tip, steaks and roasts, juicy lamb roasts. Although I am not a hunter and don't have regular access to wild game, I would think this would be a great way to cook those lean meats without drying out or overcooking. Then of course there's the reheating of vac sealed foods that you've made on your SI. You can reheat without drying or overheating. Just toss the bags in the bath set for the desired reheat temp, and eat an hour later... 4 hours later, whenever you are ready. Doesn't matter, it will be just as good. No pots or oven to watch, no worries about drying out. So much better than microwaving. Like the day you vac sealed it.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

barelfly

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:17:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply Walt and Kari.

Last question - Kari you mention vac sealed food. Do you really need a vac sealer because that is something I do not have. Perhaps in the future for the use of dry aging, but not right now. From what I’ve read, zip loc bags seemed to be what was used most. But just wanted to check with you both on type of bags you are using.

Thanks again for the info. I’m leaning more one way now!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Walt

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »
I like to cook large cuts & only have 3 people in the house. The vac sealer is very handy. We use it alot.  I have reheated food in the freezer type zip lock bags but after cooking a large brisket or pork shoulder, leftovers get subdivided and vac sealed. My wife was sceptical at first, at the purchase, but now she has recently asked if I should upgrade to a chamber sealer. She has become very accustomed to pulling out a perfectly cooked piece of frozen vac sealed meat & dropping it in the water bath to bring it back to life. It makes her life very easy if I am busy working the property. The vac sealer & Anova are great tools that really tie into the smoking hobby.....or is it an obsession?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
You do not need a vacuum sealer to sous vide. But they are handy for lots of things beyond sous vide. I never thought I'd buy a vacuum sealer, but now that I have one, I absolutely love it. You would use the "water displacement method" with ziplocks. It's impossible to get ALL of the air out though, so the bag might still want to float to the top. It's important keep the food completely submerged, so you will probably need to rig up some sort of contraption to keep it weighted down under water. For example: clip the bag with the food to the side of the pot with a binder clip. Then put something heavy, like some butter knives, in another ziplock bag, and clip this on top of your other bag to help hold it down.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:52:03 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide