Author Topic: Smoked butterflied leg of lamb  (Read 3975 times)

40 caliber

Smoked butterflied leg of lamb
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
I bought a 1.8lb butterflied leg of lamb at the grocery store. It was already butterflied. I put it in a stubbs chile and garlic marinade overnight. I put a light rub of salt and pepper. It went into my 3D at 225 to stop at an internal temp of 115.  I smoked it with 50% cherry/ 50% maple.  after the smoke, it went on the grill on high. I reverse seared it to 145 and serve! it was good! It was eyes roll back in the head good! I would do this again and again.The one thing I would do differently is to look to cut the piece of meat a little flatter so it grilled better.  I noticed the leg could be sliced open at a spot and flattened. It was, however,  on the grill at that time.  pics below
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!

TX Gent

Re: Smoked butterflied leg of lamb
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
Howdy Tom .... a question

I've noticed lamb usually appears medium rare in most photos. Is this the preferred way to cook it? I've been wanting to try lamb myself in the #1 but my wife eats with her eyes first and she's a confirmed "well" done person. I on the other hand enjoy medium rare most everything hence the cook to her eye test pass ...lol

I see were you gave it a short light smoke and I suppose I could grill hers separately to satisfy her, but do you pickup much smoke to the taste with the short smoke?
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
That looks tasty!  No mint jelly??
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

40 caliber

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:03:21 AM »
TX gent - sorry  i have been off the boards for a while. i didnt see your post.

the short smoke DOES give it a smoke taste. it is light but it is there. i stick with subtle woods .if you crank it up with stronger woods like hickory it might also help. try the lighter one first.

you can skip the smoke step and go straight to grill. i have done that more often lately. i like the smoking but the convenience of not smoking takes this to a 10 minute cook.  My wife doesn't like medium rare so i grill to 140 and pull with a target of 145(as steak tends to continue to cook).

i leave hers on until it's a little more done. She loves it so its ok. we have also put my medium rare pieces in the microwave quick to finish it. she didnt mind that either but i think just a little more grilling is best.

sorry about he zombie thread
Tom From NH
My two favorite things are  my Victory Motorcycle riding the tail of the dragon. and making the CUE!