Author Topic: Brine Chicken and Pheasant together?  (Read 2439 times)

dfreetly

Brine Chicken and Pheasant together?
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
Hi All,

I need to brine some chicken and pheasant breasts and I'm wondering if its okay to brine them together or if I should brine them separately.  My plan is to brine the pheasant twice as long as the chicken.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave from West Central MN
Smokin-It Model #1 and #3D

MTSmokin

Re: Brine Chicken and Pheasant together?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:22:39 PM »
What did you do and how did it turn out?  It's pheasant season and need some ideas.  It  tends to be dry unless I make soup.
Mark in the northern BBQ desert

3D, Traeger, Weber gas & charcoal
In search of great BBQ without working all day or night to get there

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:40:53 PM »
I don't know how I missed this post Dave, and welcome to the forum (albeit a bit late)! Yes, it is totally okay to brine together. Put the pheasant in first, then add the chicken half-way through, so both are done at the same time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

dfreetly

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
@MTSmokin.....I did end up brining the chicken and pheasant breasts together overnight.  Before I smoked I wrapped the pheasant breasts in bacon and put them fairly high in the smoker and put the chicken breasts below since they were much thicker.  Both the chicken and pheasant turned out really good.  I think the combo of brining and wrapping in bacon really helped the pheasant breasts keep moist.
Dave from West Central MN
Smokin-It Model #1 and #3D