Author Topic: SI digital control for sous vide?  (Read 1929 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
SI digital control for sous vide?
« on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »
Since the SI can maintain +/- a couple of degrees, could you put a pot of water in it and sous vide?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Durangosmoker

Re: SI digital control for sous vide?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:02 PM »
Interesting idea. And easy enough to test, just affix a thermometer probe in the water and monitor.  Probably take a fair amount of time to come to temperature, but then hold there reasonably well. Let us know if you try it.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
Start with hot water close to the temperature you are going for. I'd definitely do an 8+ hour monitor of plain water and see how it holds. In real life, once you drop your meat in, it might take a long time to get back up to temperature. You don't want it to stay in the danger zone for more than a few hours. Danger zone for a long sous vide being below 130.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:55:44 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
I was thinking of using the portable box temp probe in the water. That should control water temp with meat in it. Start with hot water and meat at room temp.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah