Author Topic: New 3 D.5 owner  (Read 1607 times)

Up-In-Smoke

New 3 D.5 owner
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
Hello everyone.  Brian from NE Pennsylvania.  Have had my 3 D.5 with cart for about a year now and love it.  First smoker I've had that works great in the dead of Winter. 

Question,, I haven't been using foil on the bottom and now it's a mess after a year of cooking.  Is there anything I can do to clean it up?
Weber Kettle
Smokin-It 3D.5
Lang 84 Deluxe with chargrill

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: New 3 D.5 owner
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
Welcome to the forums!  I've always foiled mine, so I can only speculate.  I would be tempted to wet down the bottom really well, turn the smoker on for a short time to warm everything up, wet it some more, and then use a putty knife to gently scrape stuff out.  I'd fully expect this to take several cycles.  Just be really careful to not spray onto the element itself... I'd probably wrap foil around the element guard before spraying anything to avoid accidental splash.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
I've always foiled as well. You might search "How To Clean an Oven with Baking Soda & Vinegar" and see what your thoughts are on this. Others might have some thoughts as well. There is a video on it. Let us know how you come out whatever method you use.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

polarlys

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
If it's cold and jelled I would suggest to scrape it as good as you can with a wide putty knife ( or whatever you find works ) and then hot soapy water to get what's left. 
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »
Welcome Brian from SE Arizona I once had to strip my old Cookshack clean after some mice scampered up the grease hole and left hair and droppings stuck to the floor pan and low on the walls. I used oven cleaner and a putty knife then hot soapy water. Had to re-season but no harm to the smoker. I prescraped first then used oven cleaner.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
I assume you have been changing the foil for each smoke? Or is it the same foil for a year? The foil should be changed for each smoke. I just wipe down the excess grease with paper towels after removing the foil. If the foil is stuck, turn your smoker on 100 degrees for a while to warm it up. Then scrape it off with a plastic putty knife or old credit card. If that doesn't work, pour a little warm water on it. Make sure to have the drip pan underneath. You can use oven cleaner to clean up the rest, but it doesn't need to be sparkling clean. If you use oven cleaner, wrap the element in foil to protect it. After cleaning, run another seasoning cycle to burn off any chemicals.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Up-In-Smoke

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up just wetting it and scraped it off.  Can right off. 
Weber Kettle
Smokin-It 3D.5
Lang 84 Deluxe with chargrill