Author Topic: First summer sausage...  (Read 3167 times)

Tar54

First summer sausage...
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:58:28 PM »
It was a success! I followed Greggs method for smoking large batches of sausages and it turned out very good for my first attempt! 4 ounces of apple wood...I got a good smoke from the apple wood and it was not shavings just the thinnest stuff I could find in the bag...I was surprised at how much smoke was generated at these low temps....only ashes were left...I am doing a 30lb batch and I split it in half and just put the second batch in the smoker.I used a 70/30 mixture of venison/pork and HI-Mountain summer sausage seasoning. Did the ice water bath and let them rest and completely cool and then fired the VacMaster 215 up...aside from the Smokin-It 2D the Vacmaster is one of the best purchases I have ever made!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:07:51 PM by Tar54 »
Rick from Central Indiana
Smokin-It 2D...residing at my sons new home along with his soon to be Bride!
No.1 Analog with Fireboard controller

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: First summer sausage...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:22 PM »
Jealous of your VacMaster. :D
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Tar54

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:13:15 AM »
Jealous of your VacMaster. :D
I do depredation control on several farms here and average 35-40 deer a year in addition to all of the other wild game we harvest and as a result I killed many "regular" vac sealers...wasted money.This Vacmaster gets used HARD! I keep the oil changed as it has a oil bath pump and it keeps right on sealing regardless of how many pounds I throw at it...get one...you wont be sorry as it will be the last one you ever buy...I have had this for approx.4 years now and it has needed NOTHING.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:16:11 AM by Tar54 »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
Awesome Job Rick!!!

It looks like it was a success.

I too am loving my Vacmaster 215. I am so glad that I sprang for this beast.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Tar54

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 05:26:32 AM »
Awesome Job Rick!!!

It looks like it was a success.

I too am loving my Vacmaster 215. I am so glad that I sprang for this beast.
I have so many more things I want to try..I am sure I will have a few questions for you...lol