Author Topic: Packer Prime Beef Brisket Advice  (Read 9156 times)

Buck

Packer Prime Beef Brisket Advice
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
All,

S1 - Little Guy Owner

Soliciting some advice on how best to go about smoking my #13 Packer Prime Beef Brisket I just got at Costco.  It is untrimmed so figure maybe #11-12 on the smoker weight.

I am assuming I need to cut in half and smoke on two racks?

What is the best way to cut and smoke this baby on my S1?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:17:39 PM by Buck »
Buck
Chicago, IL

EFGM

Re: Packer Prime Beef Brisket Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
Just checked and your racks are 12x13. I suspect your packer is a little longer than that, but how much longer? One possibility might be to place it diagonally and put a empty soda can or maybe even empty veggie can, ( a little bigger than the coke can.) if this would allow it to stay in one piece great, if not, it's one to store in memory for use one day maybe. You can search YouTube for separating point from flat and watch how that's done or you can just cut it in half, I've done it both ways. One thing for sure is your going to come out with one or Two hunks of "goodness!" Be sure and take and post pictures.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:41:23 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
lay your rack on top of the brisket, cut off part of the flat to get it to fit, grind that trimed piece for burger.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
And if the flat is thin enough, you could fold it over/under just enough to fit.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Buck

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice going to start either tonight or tomorrow and cook through the night.
Buck
Chicago, IL

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:09:56 AM »
A month late... but I cut the brisket in half. Put the flat fat side up on the top rack. Put the point fat side down on a rack below. I put a temp probe in both pieces, and go for 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. Because of the way they are arranged in the smoker, they both seem to get to their temps at about the same time.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TNVolsmokin

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 06:36:12 PM »
A month late... but I cut the brisket in half. Put the flat fat side up on the top rack. Put the point fat side down on a rack below. I put a temp probe in both pieces, and go for 195 in the flat, and 200-205 in the point. Because of the way they are arranged in the smoker, they both seem to get to their temps at about the same time.

I have to ask, how long did it take to reach temp? I did this recently with about a 10lb  brisket. At about 6 hours I hit 195 and 210. Pulled them and let rest for an hour. The meat was very tough. Was wondering if I should’ve left them in for the amount of time for 10 lbs (10-12hours), or what I could’ve done dofferently? Thanks for the input!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
At what temperature did you have your smoker set for?  And did you or have you checked your smoker temp with a separate thermometer just to verify that your set temp is pretty close to actual?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
I have to ask, how long did it take to reach temp? I did this recently with about a 10lb  brisket. At about 6 hours I hit 195 and 210. Pulled them and let rest for an hour. The meat was very tough. Was wondering if I should’ve left them in for the amount of time for 10 lbs (10-12hours), or what I could’ve done dofferently? Thanks for the input!
Hmmm...  not what I would have expected...  that's really fast to hit 'done' and would have expected you to be in the stall at that point.  Here's a whole bunch of questions to help with troubleshooting...
  • How much fat cap did you leave?
  • Did you brine?
  • What grade (choice, select, prime) was the brisket?
  • At what temperature did you set the smoker?
  • Did you put a water pan next to the fire box?
  • Was it 'jiggly' when you took it out?  (I'm guessing not.)
  • Have you tested your probes for accuracy?  (ice water and boiling water)
  • Did you wrap at any point or open the door for any other reason once you put it in and closed it up?
  • Did you do any other kind of prep?  (seasoning, injection, etc?)

------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

What temperature did you set your SI for? Assuming it was around 225, I can almost guarantee that it is a probe accuracy problem. Either your meat probe, or your ambient probe. Test them in ice water (probes should read around 32 degrees F) and in boiling water (probes should read around 212 degrees F). The discrepancy is so huge, I don't know if other details can explain it. It just didn't cook long enough. Or it might have to do with probe placement. Make sure your probe was not in a fat pocket, and securely embedded with the tip in the thickest part of the meat.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
TNV, internal temperature on a brisket is just a guideline.  At those temps you start doing the jiggle test or the toothpick probe, toothpick should go in and out with no resistance.  All pieces of meat are different so don't use IT as an absolute with regards to "done".  And I am also in the belief that your probes were not accurate in this smoke. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TNVolsmokin

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Hmmm...  not what I would have expected...  that's really fast to hit 'done' and would have expected you to be in the stall at that point.  Here's a whole bunch of questions to help with troubleshooting...
  • How much fat cap did you leave?
  • Did you brine?
  • What grade (choice, select, prime) was the brisket?
  • At what temperature did you set the smoker?
  • Did you put a water pan next to the fire box?
  • Was it 'jiggly' when you took it out?  (I'm guessing not.)
  • Have you tested your probes for accuracy?  (ice water and boiling water)
  • Did you wrap at any point or open the door for any other reason once you put it in and closed it up?
  • Did you do any other kind of prep?  (seasoning, injection, etc?)

Thanks for all the replies and areas to look into -
We did not brine
‘Y wife trimmed it but probably not well. This was our first and I think she left a lot of fat.
Prettt sure it was prime
I had it set to about 235 and did use a water pan
It did seem somewhat jiggly, the flat moreso
I didn’t verify the temperature probes
I only wrapped before letting it rest
And did salt and pepper rub only

I think that covers the questions others had as well,
Thank you all!

SconnieQ

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »
One of the biggest mistakes people make is overtrimming. So I doubt that undertrimming was a problem. I only trim the really thick parts (the big globs that probably won't fully render) and leave 3/8 to 1/2 inch. I score the thicker parts of fat remaining. The fat keeps the meat moist. People can decide not to eat it if they want. Or you could trim some off after smoking. I think the fat is delicious. I still believe it was either probe accuracy or probe placement. It's just unlikely that a 10 lb brisket would be done in 6 hours. I don't really see anything wrong with your process.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

TNVolsmokin

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
Thanks for the input! That’s what I wasn’t sure - is it still a 10lb brisket if cut in half or two 5lb briskets? I was afraid of over doing things if it was being considered two 5lb briskets.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
Thanks for the input! That’s what I wasn’t sure - is it still a 10lb brisket if cut in half or two 5lb briskets? I was afraid of over doing things if it was being considered two 5lb briskets.
It would be considered as 2 - 5 lbs briskets, which do take longer per pound than a 10 lbs brisket but probably not as long total time as a 10 lbs brisket.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah