Author Topic: Baby Back Stew.  (Read 2303 times)

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Baby Back Stew.
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:51:50 PM »
Last Saturday, at 10:00 a.m. I put three racks of baby backs in the #3ff.  About noon, I was reminded that we had a wedding to attend at 3:00 p.m. at a location about an hour away.  So, I turned the temperature down from 225 to 200 thinking they would be ok for a couple extra hours.  Unfortunately, we didn't make it back to the house until 7:00 p.m.

When I took the baby backs out of the cooker they were literally falling off of the bones. Just wrapped them up in foil and put them in the fridge.   So, thought I would just cook up a couple pounds of black bean and make some rib stew.  Next morning, I put the black beans on the stove with about three chopped onions and some garlic cloves.  After the beans were done, I added three cans of diced tomatoes and a can of Original Ro-Tel along with three heaping tablespoons of some Santa Fe chili powder and cleaned out what was left of a jar of some BBQ sauce.  As soon as the mixture got up to a slow boil I threw in all of the rib meat I had stripped off of the ribs.  Brought it all back to a low simmer for about two hours and then put it outside until the next morning. 

Put the pot back on the stove at about 11:00 a.m. on Sunday morning and heated the mess back up to a low simmer for about 30 minutes.  Added some salt to taste then dipped out a bowl full for lunch.  It was and outstanding.  I'm not advocating that this is a good way to eat your baby backs.  But, when faced with a disaster it sure turned out damn good. 

I love a good stew and this one hit the spot.  The downside is that it looks like I will be eating Baby Back Stew for the rest of the week.  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:54:40 PM by wehill »
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Baby Back Stew.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 10:35:08 PM »
That's not a bad idea.   I used some left over rib meat from the smoker mixed in with ravioli today.

Mushrooms, onions, butter, more butter, spinach, garlic, rib meat, all sauteed down and added to ravioli.

For red sauce I used a 1/2 cup of bloody mary mix.   

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
I'm not much of a fat eater.  So, the simmering for a couple hours after the beans were ready then cooling down over night left what fat was left over from the smoking was easy to spoon out of the pot.

It just keeps getting better every day.
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

Meatball

• Smoke it if you got it ....
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
Sounds like a winner.... on the to do list....Thanks!!
Bobby
Tennessee resident
Welder / Inspector

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
When we had a dog, she was the benefactor of most of my screw ups. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:53 PM »
When we had a dog, she was the benefactor of most of my screw ups.

:D :D :D
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!