Author Topic: Ribeye  (Read 2623 times)

Kutch98

Ribeye
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:08:53 AM »
Just did a ribeye tonight.  I wasn't SUPER impressed the first time I did one, but I wanted to try it again. Much better this time around.  Used Anova recommended 129 degrees. Very little red/blood in the meat when done. Almost a medium finish in color.  Sat in the bath for about 90 minutes or so then put it in a hot skillet with melted butter and garlic for a few minutes on each side. Everything was tender and juicy, tasted amazing.  Might be a new go to for me on cooking steaks at home.  Seasoned with McCormicks Montreal steal seasoning. 
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Ribeye
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
Nicely done Jake! I'm trying to get the hang of souse vida myself.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 11:43:11 PM »
I do 129 for 2 to 2.5 hours and then sear them for 35 seconds on each side. Best Ribeyes anyone has ever had anywhere!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:11:42 AM »
I agree. Best steak you've ever had. I've found success depends a lot on 2 things. The thicker the steak the better. And do the sear at the highest temp possible, for the shortest amount of time, to avoid overcooking.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
Please believe me that I really like the sous vide. I did sausage in it this AM for breakfast. However, my vote for the best rib eye is to smoke it to the desired temp and then sear it over a charcoal chimney with blazing hot charcoal. Maybe a minute each side. I have been piercing it with shish kabob skewers so that the steak rests on top of the chimney.
On a side note- the reason I sous vide sausage is because I got a book at the library on sausage making and it said never to fry sausage because it alters the flavor so much.
Different strokes for different folks.
Brian from Wichita