Author Topic: What are your thoughts on safest IT for dry brined and smoked salmon?  (Read 4078 times)

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
Last weekend I used the recipe of Kari and Bob on some salmon.  My only variation was in the amount of time I left the salmon to dry in the fridge.  I left the salmon in the dry brine for the full eight hours and then left it to dry in the fridge for 13 hours before I put it in the smoker.

I left it in the smoker until the IT hit 137.  It was great.  I used about 3.5 ounces of sugar maple.  The salmon came out very moist and with a great smoked look and flavor.  Kari gave me some great advice on how to use the dry brine etc.

This was my first salmon smoke since about 1994.  This was my first time to use a dry brine on salmon.  All of the previous salmon I smoked was what I brought home from Alaska salmon fishing trips.  Back then I was always careful to smoke the salmon to an IT of 150 to 160 or so.  I thought a few times about ignoring the 137 IT and going ahead and let it hit the 150 mark ... for safeties sake.  I always worry about smoking fish, especially salmon.

Anyway, I stuck with the 137 IT on this last smoke.  I am just curious on what everyone thinks regarding the IT for salmon.  The only reason I stuck with the 137 IT was the dry brine process.  In the past I never thought to much about going to the 150 to 160 range.  I don't remember any issues with it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this IT issue from the standpoint of safety and quality of the final product?

Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

stout

Re: What are your thoughts on safest IT for dry brined and smoked salmon?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
my wife likes to make sushi with salmon.

i've eaten plenty of it raw over the year

and even when cooked i like salmon on the rare side

but for all i know i've been taking my life in my hands all these years

Moscowbni

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
Salmonella only thrive in a certain range of temperatures, from about 40ºF to 135ºF and are mainly on the outside of the fish/chicken.  So, your internal temp doesn't have to go that high.

I tend to cook my salmon box temp at 190 to internal temp of 140, and it comes out nice and moist.

If you want to get scared and have more than enough information you can check this site that also has a link to more detailed information.  It is worth reading the second post on this site as well as it softens the blow.

Basically, the risk is low if you are a normal healthy person and the fish doesn't smell/look spoiled.  Most of the store bought fish has already been frozen (kills worms) providing another added level of safety if it makes you feel better.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/41598/what-parasites-are-problematic-in-sous-vide
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
Salmonella only thrive in a certain range of temperatures, from about 40ºF to 135ºF and are mainly on the outside of the fish/chicken.  So, your internal temp doesn't have to go that high.

I tend to cook my salmon box temp at 190 to internal temp of 140, and it comes out nice and moist.

If you want to get scared and have more than enough information you can check this site that also has a link to more detailed information.  It is worth reading the second post on this site as well as it softens the blow.

Basically, the risk is low if you are a normal healthy person and the fish doesn't smell/look spoiled.  Most of the store bought fish has already been frozen (kills worms) providing another added level of safety if it makes you feel better.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/41598/what-parasites-are-problematic-in-sous-vide

Thanks.  You were right in that is a scary post or two.   And, that is the reason that back in the 1990s I always brought it to an IT of 150 - 160.  Personally, I am not a big fan of salmon, smoked or otherwise.  Claire is the reason I smoke salmon.  She loves the stuff.  So, I do it for her.   I think, in the future, I will let it climb closer to the 140 mark.  I can't believe that will make much difference in the end product and I will feel a little better about it. 
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

JustChillin

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:14:39 PM »
I smoke Salmon often and 140 works great for me.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
Thanks, I will give the 140 a try.
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

Moscowbni

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 01:30:49 AM »
I'm not a fan of salmon either, but my wife loves it.  I've been having fun cold smoking the salmon tho.  Used wet brine, and a dry brine.  So far my favorite is the wet brine for cold smoke, and dry brine for hot smoke.

One tip for hot smoking fish.  I have the 2D and it is on my balcony.  Make sure you listen for the beep and take it out when it reaches the correct internal temperature...otherwise you will over cook it.  Fish is much more delicate than beef or pork.  It is rather hard for me to hear the beep inside my apartment, so I have to sit and wait during the final count down.  It shuts down, but the residual heat will keep it cooking if you leave it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:32:20 AM by Moscowbni »
Stephen.  First time smoker owner, but now getting the hang of it.  Transplanted from the USA to Kuwait.  2d, Weber Genesis Gas Grill, enjoying learning how to make new stuff.

wehill

• Walt
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
Smoked my third salmon filet.  Gets better every time.  I let the chunks of salmon filet set in the 4:1 brown sugar to Kosher salt for roughly 10 hours.  Then set the chunks sit on a rack in the fridge for another 10 hours or so.  About two hours before I put the chunks in the fridge I coated them top and bottom with a good coating of Maple syrup.  Used 1.2 ounces of Sugar Maple wood and set the temperature on the #3 at 175 and the probe at 137 degree F.  For some reason when the IT hit 133 it set there for a long time then backed down to 131.  I increased the heat to the smoker to 200 and it quickly hit the 140  mark.

Let it cool down in the fridge for about an hour.  Claire gave it a try and declared it was the best smoked salmon she has ever had.  While I am not much of a salmon fan, I gave it a try and had to agree with her.  The problem I now have is that I am going to be a slave to smoking salmon   :D.

This was farm raised salmon.  I have brought home lots of smoked salmon from my Alaska fishing trips.  I have to admit that today's smoked salmon is as good or better than any I have ever brought home.  I've been greatly disappointed in the Smoke-It #3 for ribs and brisket, but it sure does a great job for smoked salmon.
Walt
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

kona77

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
 We are fortunate to have a pretty good salmon fishery in our backyard (Lake Michigan) and I have been smoking salmon for years. Started on my regular Weber and now do it in my 3-D. I have been using the same wet brine (1 cup of salt and brown sugar in a gallon of water) for all this time
and it is always a big hit. Had some older pheasant breasts in the freezer and I did them at the same time. Used maple for the wood and it was the appetizer before our Easter dinner today     
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..