Author Topic: Post Smoke -- What does your wood look like?  (Read 3507 times)

baran3

Post Smoke -- What does your wood look like?
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:17:10 PM »
I've seen alot of info about wood here, and even some nice pictures. But I'm getting conflicting info from some posts. I've only done 2 smokes (with food) and 2 test burns (no food, trying foil in bottom of wood box).

BTW, I'm using SI wood chunks.

When I smoke without any foil in the wood box, my wood is reduced to a fine ash, lighter than dust. This seems acceptable to some folks. But I've also seen pictures and read comments about how their wood after a smoke is still 'intact', not reduced to ash, but simply black. It's still a chunk of wood, only burnt.

On my test burns I've placed foil on the bottom of half the wood box. Wood chunks on the foil are black but intact, and chunks not on foil are reduced to ash.

Is there a right or wrong answer here?
Is foil on the floor of the wood box the same idea as a 'foil boat?
Meat only absorbs smoke until reaching 140 degrees; after that any additional smoke just builds up on the outside of the meat possibly affecting the taste. If the wood isn't reduced to ash, then I'm guessing it's still smoking all the way through the cook. Can this add to the over-smoked taste?

I'd like to hear from the experienced users out there: do you foil your wood box or chunks? What does your wood box look like after a typical smoke?

Thanks for the guidance,
Ken
Ken from lovely Delmarva Peninsula
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Post Smoke -- What does your wood look like?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 03:49:20 PM »
I played with my bottom holes until I got wood that looks like this on most of the smokes.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
I used to try foil boats but I don't bother anymore. I have a chip screen in my box (like SuperDave shows below) that adds another layer of metal between the box and wood. I usually consider this good enough. The burn of my wood varies on the length of my cooks. I just did a brisket last night that was in for 20-21 hours. The wood was ash when I pulled everything out.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

baran3

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
Thanks for the input and photos; I'm finally finding the time to type this out. I've ordered the chip screen and will use it on my next smoke.

This weekend I smoked another pork butt, 15 hours total. I had a single sheet of HD foil lining the entire bottom of the wood box. Used 3 chunks of hickory, weighing 2.6, 1.8, and 2.4 ounces. The top of the photo (EDIT: Darn rotation -- the left is the rear of the smoker) is the rear of the smoker, and that's the only chunk that was reduced to ash. The 2 other pieces were more or less intact. I guess this means that the back of my wood box is hotter. Good info to know.

After a 15 hour smoke I don't think I can expect anything better than what I saw in terms of ash so I'm happy with my test and will continue to place a piece of foil in the bottom of the wood box.
Ken from lovely Delmarva Peninsula
Smokin-It #2

stout

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:56:50 PM »
the seasoning smoke 4 hours left 2 half blocks ..charcoal.. the rest was ash

11 hour brisket .. nothing but ash left

i didn't do anything to the blocks or the wood box at all

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
I finally solved most of my issue with wood and smoke.  A few days ago I smoked a couple of racks of pork spare ribs.  I used a full six ounces of 15% moisture hickory in an steel box I made to use inside the firebox.  I had them in my #3 for five 1/2 hours and still had three small pieces of smoldering left and the rest was ash.  Finally, I achieved a little more hickory smoked flavor in the ribs.  The ribs were pretty good, but to dry for my liking.

Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:18 AM »
This is what the wood typically looks like after my smokes.

If one opens the door and leaves it that way for a while after a smoke there will be enough oxygen that the wood will finish burning to ashes if it's still hot enough.  I usually take my food and then close the door again right away.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Walt

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
I dont foil or ramp up temps. I do use the chip screen & I use woodstock thats been given to me (logs of pecan) or harvested  from my own property (fruit tree trimmings). I dont use a moisture meter either. I cant speak to other wood sources such as Fruitawood. Personally, I think this issue has been overthought by many. Sometimes my wood is more ash than charcoal & sometimes its the other way around. The outcome never fluctuates though, great food. When the box is new and shiney there is a better chance of the dreaded burp. Doesn't change the outcome. As the inside of the box gets better seasoned, the burps become uncommon or nonexistant. I have witnessed a few burps early but cant remember the last time i have seen one. They may still occur, but I dont often spend much time watching because I know it doesn't change the outcome! If your the type who enjoy obsessing (as some here do, much like the temp swing issue) carry on, if not set it & forget it.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill