Author Topic: Temp keeps rising  (Read 3107 times)

allmann

Temp keeps rising
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »
I put a brisket in the smoker at 0800, set it up went shower and eat breakfast. I looked at the thermoworks Smoke around 0930 and the meat is at 139 and the temp of the smoker was 300 and rising. I thought the probe was wrong so I pulled it out and switched the probes in the unit and took a digital probe of the meat. The meat temp was 139 and the box temp was correct. I took the brisket out and put it in the oven at 240 on the convection setting. I had to run out, but while I was gone my wife said the temp dropped to 130. Hope it turns out well. temp now reads 150(1700).  I'm thinking its going to be a bust.

Real problem is the smoker itself. What would cause this? I have the Auber set up with the permanent probe in there. It has been acting crazy lately showing weird codes so I stopped using it. I have been too busy to call Auber and talk to someone. But the smoker shouldn't be going to over 300 and rising, when it is set at 220.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Temp keeps rising
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
Do you have an Auber set up with the bypass?  I made the mistake of running the smoker on the analog controller when I thought that I was on the Auber.  In bypass mode there was no turn off of the element. It would have stayed on full power forever. 

I think you stand a very good chance of the brisket still turning out.  Nothing you mentioned was a deal breaker.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

allmann

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »
That was what I thought, but checked it wasn't on the bypass it was set to the analog setting.

I hope so, it still smells great. My wife hates the smell but I love it.
Kevin
Lacey NJ

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »
That was what I thought, but checked it wasn't on the bypass it was set to the analog setting.

I hope so, it still smells great. My wife hates the smell but I love it.
The problem occurs when you try to use analog and have the SI plug plugged into the back of the Auber. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
Kevin, a quick temp spike, like that, is only caused by combustion of your wood.  It's not the smoker, it's the wood.  The probe is only reading the high box temp caused by fire in the box.  Been there, done that!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

allmann

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:44:30 PM »
The auber wasn't attached.

I opened the door to quickly drop the temperature and when I shut it it went back up. I didn't see any flames, i'll have to check the box
Kevin
Lacey NJ

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:54 PM »
Analog or Auber...if you are monitoring box temps, I'm confident the only thing that would cause a fast spike like that is wood combustion.  You should see black marks on the box and or door. 

By the way, if you do see a spike, that is most-likely from combustion, just keep the door closed.  It will go out, and temps will return to normal. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jax

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
I had the same thing happen as Kevin using my 3-D this past weekend.  While smoking a rib-eye roast and salmon, I noticed my temperature spike as high as 15 degrees.  That has never happened.  When the temperature remained high, I lowered it by 20 degrees.  Eventually it started settling down but then went below the temperature.

This was not the result of the wood, but can't rule out I was getting ghost readings.
Jax
Tulsa, OK
SI 3D