Author Topic: Curing Salt  (Read 2537 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Curing Salt
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »
Okay it is time.

I come and go from the forum considering what I've learned what I'm smoking or how much I'm traveling.

It's time to take the next step.

My SI3 I have mastered. Baby backs perfect. Pulled pork nailed it. Brisket on point. Woods selected and know exactly it's worth buying Smokinlicous and exactly what lights up the crowds.  Briner use perfected.

What I don't know is how to cure properly to give a faux smoke ring?

Mostly what I don't know is what am I looking for when I go to Wegman's?

I want to perfect a pork belly which make everyone up north where I live go bananas. While focusing on that this winter to master it I also want to get the right salt?

What is pink salt? Instructed? What do I want? I find Mortons canning salt is that the same thing? Sorry to sound like a novice here... But on this topic I'm clueless (for now). 😀

I know someone will bail me out and help me just like I did years ago when we had to modify our smokers to bypass controllers. Glad Steve now offers a D version by the way!!!!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Donmac

Re: Curing Salt
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
Don from New Hampshire, 3D & #1 Owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Curing Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Hey Three Sons (someday, I hope you'll add your first name to your signature line), no...canning salt is not the same thing.  Here's one link that will help:

Curing Salt & TenderQuick

Here's another:

Jane Says: You Shouldn't Be Afraid of Nitrites

Aaaand, one more....

Curing Salts

Lots to learn, but not hard.  If you want #1 Instacure, best to order a bag off of Amazon.  It will last you forever, as we typically only use 1 tsp. in a gallon of brine.  This stuff packs a powerful punch!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!