Author Topic: Water pan for bacon?  (Read 3787 times)

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
Water pan for bacon?
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »
last minute panic here. I have been reading on bacon and I am about to smoke a full belly after a nice week long dry cure.  My plan is 2 hrs at 145° then upt to 200° to 150 IT.  I have not heard anything about the water pan.  I presume i would use a water pan right?
John from Blenheim.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Water pan for bacon?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:28:52 PM »
I have never used a water pan, but I don't remember why, or if there was a reason. I don't have a D model, so I use the cold smoke plate for the first part of the smoke, and have never thought about adding a water pan after I remove the cold smoke plate for the second part of the smoke when I turn up the temp. I think when in doubt, you can put a water pan in. I don't think it would hurt anything with bacon.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Event Horizon

• Smokin-It #3D
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 07:44:09 AM »
I went ahead and added a pan of water.  I didn’t think it could hurt anything and people say they put a water pan in for most things.  It seemed to come out fine, and the nibbles I tasted were fantastic!  They are in the fridge for a few days.  I ordered a meat slicer and am hoping it arrives on Monday.
John from Blenheim.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
John, I doubt it turned out bad but I think the deal with bacon is to take most of the moisture out of the bacon. Hence the curing process. I haven't used a pan when I make bacon for that reason.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:59:15 PM »
I have never used a water water pan when hot or cold smoking bacon.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud