Author Topic: Smoked Salmon lacking something  (Read 7547 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

Smoked Salmon lacking something
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »
This is my first attempt at smoking salmon, and it may be my last.  The pictures look good but the end result was not!  Here's the story:

I followed Kari's post as a guide.  The salmon came from Costco, and the piece I smoked weighed 12 3/8 oz.  My rub/cure consisted of 1C brown sugar, 1/4 C sea salt, and 1/4 C Emeril's essence.  I thoroughly washed and blotted dry the piece of salmon; placed it in a glass dish; packed a thick layer of the rub on all sides; covered it with plastic wrap; and placed it in the frig overnight.  I removed the salmon from the frig the next day at 1:30; rinsed it well; blotted it dry; and set it on a wire rack for 3 hrs. to form a pellicle.  I placed 3 small pieces of cherry, weighing a total of 2 oz., in the hottest areas of the smoker box and added the water pan.  The salmon was placed on the top rack of the smoker and the probe inserted in the thickest part of the fish.  I set my 2D to 170 degrees to smoke until the salmon reached an internal temp. of 135.  It only took 45 min.  I tested it, and it passed the touch test and flaked easily.  The real test was in the taste.  It had no smoke taste and very little taste period.  Later I checked the smoker box (wish I'd taken a picture), and the 3 pieces of cherry were intact and barely charred.  I'm guessing I should have cut them into pencil thin pieces since the smoking time was so short.  Also this piece of salmon was not very thick, although it was the thickest piece I bought.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Durangosmoker

Re: Smoked Salmon lacking something
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »
Sounds like your wood never got going. I haven't done salmon in a while, but the last time I did, I set my #2 at 200 degrees with one oz of hickory, and it was amazing. At 170 you may need to chop the wood into very thin chips in order for them to smolder.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
You will definitely need chips or slivers for these low temp smokes. No water pan needed for fish. Most only brine for about 4 hours then let form pellicle for another 3 or 4. However, I usually place my fish in the brine just before bed, 11 or 12. When I wake in the morning it gets rinsed patted dry & in the fridge to form the pellicle. Light coat of cane syrup just before the smoke. Tip: cut the fish in serving portions to begin the process allowing the brine to coat all six sides & the fish will maintain its shape for serving. At 135IT it will shred if you try to portion it out after its cooked.
I prefer a pinch of pepper in the brine & Steens cane syrup to lightly coat it with pecan wood. It's a terrific flavor combo.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 11:53:09 PM »
Definitely chips/slivers next time.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rettaps

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »
Planning on trying fish once my 3D is here, why would op smoke at 170?

Titus
Elkton, SD
3D Smokin-it

Greenenvey

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
I smoke alot of salmon in my 3D. Actually it's Kokanee a small salmon. I sliver the wood chunks so they are very thin.sometimes you have to crank the heat up a little to get it smoking good. Actually smoked fish is the only thing that I don't set and forget. I try to keep the temp as low as possible. But still high enough to keep it smoking. So my temps fluctuate from 150_ 180. My salmon has always turned out excellent.
Laura
Boise idaho/ jamestown N.D.
si.#3 standard
Si.#3D
Weber Genesis E310.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
Planning on trying fish once my 3D is here, why would op smoke at 170?

Salmon needs to be cooked in the 170 range so as not to force the albumin (the white stuff that form on top of the cooked fish) out of the fish. If cooked low it will remain in the fish. I would not go any higher than 180 max. Also, its a quick cook so lower temps should allow the fish to bath in smoke a bit longer.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
Fish would actually be the one thing that I'd wait to see smoke roll before adding meat to the smoker.  They just cook too fast and at low temps these smokers take a long time to produce smoke.  Think pellets, sawdust and chips for wood sources. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
Fish would actually be the one thing that I'd wait to see smoke roll before adding meat to the smoker.  They just cook too fast and at low temps these smokers take a long time to produce smoke.  Think pellets, sawdust and chips for wood sources.

That's a good point, Dave.  I saw very little smoke and not for very long.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Rich B

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »
What about using the cold smoking plate to keep the temps down in the cooking chamber and still allow for good smoke production below??
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

Walt

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »
There is really no need for anything different, except insure you use chips, slivers or sawdust. Even @ 170 box temp I get plenty of smoke.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »
There is really no need for anything different, except insure you use chips, slivers or sawdust. Even @ 170 box temp I get plenty of smoke.

Walt, your responses are much appreciated, and I have decided to follow your suggestions next time.  I also think, I would be more successful if my fish was a little bit thicker.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Walt

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
I get the skinless salmon filets from SAMS. Usually about 2.75-3lbs per filet. If you pull @ 135 (about an hour @ 170) they are moist & flakey. The skinny, well done, tail pieces are always claimed by my daughter. A little something for everyone. Enjoy.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »
This is my first attempt at smoking salmon, and it may be my last. 

I hope not. :(   We all have failures, and learn from them!  Climb back on that horse and figure out what works - sounds like you have lots of friends helping! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 01:55:17 AM »
Since you used the technique that I posted... I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why it didn't work for you. Your process sounds just right, except for using chunks rather than chips as everyone else has already suggested. I always use chips for fish. And since the fish isn't in the smoker for very long, you can throw a few extra chips in there without worrying about it getting over-smoked. Also, you might notice more smoke flavor, or a different more mellow smoke flavor if you wrap and refrigerate for a couple days.

As far as the thickness, you want the thickest salmon you can find. I buy whole skinless filets from Costco. I cut the filets into about 4 inch wide sections, using the thickest part of the filet toward the head. The other 1/3 toward the tail gets used for something else, like sous vide, or salmon burgers. You can smoke the thinner tail part too if you want, it just cooks really fast and is prone to drying out. Also, certain species of salmon have more flavor than others. Try to avoid Chum/Keta. I has very little flavor, and I've heard Alaskans won't even eat it, they feed it to their dogs or use it for bait. I don't think Coho is all that great either. Probably what Costco sells is farm-raised Atlantic salmon, which I know you are supposed to avoid for various reasons, but it is very high in fat, which means flavor and moistness, so that's what I buy for smoking. And the price is right.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 02:28:13 AM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide