Author Topic: Pulled pork for Saturday  (Read 5568 times)

drains

Pulled pork for Saturday
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »
Brought home two 9 llb. butts today so the ole #3 will get to stretch its legs a bit this weekend. Haven't smoked anything since July 4th weekend so it's time to make up for lost time. Not to mention that I'm fresh out of pulled pork. Sacrilege!! Was in a hurry so no brine just a quick trim and then rubbed down generously with John Henry's pecan rub using karo syrup as the binder. Man is that stuff sticky. Then into the #3 with the temp set at 235 with 3 ounces hickory and 3 ounces sugar maple weighed with a digital scale, no eyeballing it.  The Mavericks dual probes are sending me updates on the temps every few second via the remote here by me on the couch. The air conditioner is keeping me nice and comfy while its 98 outside and the humidity is off the charts. Man I love this lazyQ lifestyle!😎 Before pics below after pics tomorrow. Have a great weekend everybody!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:07:42 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Pulled pork for Saturday
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:37 PM »
THAT my friends is LazyQ at it's best! Don't overcomplicate things! It will be great!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:10 PM »
Oooh, can't wait. Your approach is impeccable.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Nimrod

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
"The air conditioner is keeping me nice and comfy while its 98 outside and the humidity is off the charts. Man I love this lazyQ lifestyle!😎"

Dale,
Keep the AC humming and enjoy!

I picked up a twin pack of butts (butts2?) myself.  Now if my wife would just let me setup the #2 inside closer to the AC life would be grand ;D
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

drains

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
Dave what you need is a good quality remote thermometer. The maverick I use is a good one but there are many other good ones in every price range. I pulled the two butts about 9:30am, one read 192 and the other 194 degrees, and rested them for an hour or so and then pulled one and will put the other one in the freezer for later use. Along for the ride were potato salad and a mixture of okra, corn and tomatoes I threw together from leftovers. The sauce was a concoction of ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and a dash or two of seracha pepper sauce. The best part of it all is I didn't even break a sweat through it all. LazyQ? Yep, I'm all about that! 😎 
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
Looks great, Dale!  I love brined butts, but will certainly do the same as you, if pressed for time!  Butts are good, no matter how you prep 'em!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Yeh I got the Maverick remote Dale but still have to step outside to put them on and take them up...lol

That John Henrys and karo made a beautiful bark and I'll bet the taste was even better 8)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 05:45:20 PM »
I hear you Dave! Its a different kind of hot here isn't it? This is the first time I've used karo for binder as I usually go with mustard but sometimes was disappointed with the results. I like karo, the clear kind, because it has no flavoring and is sticky as heck. Also I have been grinding my rub in my wife's Vitamix blender. I figure the finer the rub the more I can apply and it readily sticks to the karo with little effort. The results have been positive. Stay cool folks cause it looks like were in for a humdinger of a hot summer.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 06:51:53 PM »
I hear you Dave! Its a different kind of hot here isn't it? This is the first time I've used karo for binder as I usually go with mustard but sometimes was disappointed with the results. I like karo, the clear kind, because it has no flavoring and is sticky as heck. Also I have been grinding my rub in my wife's Vitamix blender. I figure the finer the rub the more I can apply and it readily sticks to the karo with little effort. The results have been positive. Stay cool folks cause it looks like were in for a humdinger of a hot summer.

I tried maple syrup on some chickens and was very pleased but of course the skin is kindof throw a way.  One thing I havent figured out using mustard is no matter how evenly distributed when applying the rub, wherever you touch it to lift onto the grill or place in the smoker, it binds to your glove or finger and appears to leave an unprotected spot on the meat.  Probably disperses with the heat but its kindof like seeing a spot you missed after painting a wall.  I think I'll experiment with your Karo and I have some dark ribbon cane syrup I think would be good on some meats.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

drains

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 01:17:50 PM »
Hey Dave, make sure the meat is good and dry on the surface before adding the binder. Any moisture on the surface will dilute the binder whether it is mustard or Karo. I think I went through a half roll of paper towels between those two butts the other day. I got them good and dry though. Also, if you want to, try grinding your rub to  the consistency of talcum powder. This will allow a more consistent coating of rub thus reducing bare spots.  Almost like a shell.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:07:10 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Nimrod

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:14 PM »
Thanks Dale.  Im gonna defintiely need more practice to get these butts more predictable.
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »
Practice, practice, oh so tasty PRACTICE, Dave! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Kutch98

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »
Interested in the Karo syrup method. The fiancé SWEARS she can taste mustard....weirdo.  I used molasses last time instead of mustard and that was delicious. But you're method and rub flavor shave me intrigued, thank you for sharing.
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

drains

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
Your welcome Jake. The clear kind has no flavoring and is super sticky and not watery at all. The rub really adheres and doesn't leave what I call "fish eyes" or spots that seem to open up about the time I'm trying to put the meat in the smoker. For me, mustard is ok but Karo is my go to now. Give it a try and maybe you'll like it or better yet the fiance might like it.😋
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
I have a 8+ lb Boston butt in the bath for a ride in the 2D tonight.  I may just try the Karo!  Jake, I can't believe she can taste mustard, but doesn't find the bitterness of molasses stronger!  One for the books! ;)   Just goes to show - everyone's tastes are different!
Tony from NW Arkansas