Author Topic: Does anyone use the juice in the water pan after smoking?  (Read 4191 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Does anyone use the juice in the water pan after smoking?
« on: May 13, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
I have used the juice when doing chicken. Last weekend I did a pork butt, and after shredding, I had to keep it warm in the crock pot for a few hours before serving. I wished I had extra liquid for the crock pot. I added some homemade pork stock and apple juice, but it was not enough and the top layer in the crock pot still got dry-ish. I tasted the juice in the drip pan, and it tasted good, but wasn't sure if it would overwhelm and did not use it. After all, it drips onto the top of the wood box, which gets crusted with burnt stuff, then falls off the edge into the drip pan. Maybe it would be too bitter. Same thing with brisket. Should I be saving and repurposing this stuff? I have seen some posters referring to the chicken drippings as liquid gold, which I am on-board with. But what about the longer smokes like butt and brisket?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:35:28 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

Re: Does anyone use the juice in the water pan after smoking?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:53:33 PM »
I save it for both brisket & pork butt. However i harvest it about every 30 minutes until I have as much as I want. Each time placeing it in the fridge.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
One of the things that I like about finishing my butts in a foil pan is that I get at least a cup or 2 of juices. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
I think you'd be OK taking drippings from the water pan, if it's the one inside the box, next to the heating element.  I, personally, wouldn't consider using anything from the drip pan under the smoker.  I brine butts and briskets, so a lot of the liquid that ends up there is the liquid draining out of the raw meat.  It's not rendered fat, but raw meat juice.  Better safe than dead.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 10:20:15 PM »
I think you'd be OK taking drippings from the water pan, if it's the one inside the box, next to the heating element.

That's what I meant. The water pan inside the box, next to the heating element. My fear is that it might taste bitter, since the juice would be running off the top of the wood box which gets kind of burnt, then drips into the pan, but I'll give it a better taste test next time before I throw it out.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
I knew that's what you meant, Kari - just wanted to clarify for folks that might confuse the two pans.  The question has been raised many times about the bottom drip pan. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!