Author Topic: Little help  (Read 4197 times)

Dan9327

Little help
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »
I set up the smoker to season about 10 minutes ago. Followed the instructions that were sent with the unit. The issue I'm having is that the time is not showing up in the right window just a -h-

I went through it a few times and I'm sure that the program is set correct. Just unsure what the h means.

Thanks in advance
Dan from Southern New Jersey
Novice guy with a 3D smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Little help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »
Hit the time button and report back.  ;)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Dan9327

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »
Yea I didn't realize it counted up. All I got was the h and zeros. Was looking for it to say 4.0 or something to that effect. Seasoning went well after that little nugget and I can't wait until the weekend now
Dan from Southern New Jersey
Novice guy with a 3D smoker

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:32:33 PM »
I looked for a count down as well when I got mine. You will get used to it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
 Thank heavens for this form. I am now in the process of trying to season my new 4D that was just delivered today, and I had the same exact question about the time in the window.

On another note, the supplied instructions that came with my smoker said to place two pieces of wood in the smoke box, but the seasoning portion of this forum said to put three pieces of wood in. Which is it?  I put into, and I don't want to open the door at this point,  so I guess that just makes me curious at this time. :)
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.

drains

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 12:13:15 AM »
Hey Scott, Two should be enough. Along with adding a beautiful brown patina to that monster smokers innards the seasoning process also eliminates any residual traces of the manufacturing process, cutting fluids, coolants, etc. If you really want to break that bad boy in right, on its maiden voyage, just toss in a couple of big ol' pork butts then stand back and watch the real seasoning begin. We're talking  about a lot of major league smokey greasy goodness!  I hope you enjoy the Big Daddy. Happy smokin!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:16:19 AM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

id2nv2nj2ca

• Scott Petersen Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 12:35:46 AM »
Hey Scott, Two should be enough. Along with adding a beautiful brown patina to that monster smokers innards the seasoning process also eliminates any residual traces of the manufacturing process, cutting fluids, coolants, etc. If you really want to break that bad boy in right, on its maiden voyage, just toss in a couple of big ol' pork butts then stand back and watch the real seasoning begin. We're talking  about a lot of major league smokey greasy goodness!  I hope you enjoy the Big Daddy. Happy smokin!

Thanks Dale.  That's my dad's (RIP) name, by the way.  My Big Daddy is seasoning right now, but I just started a thread about the color of the smoke coming out of it.  It's the same color the smoke was when I seasoned my MES several years ago.......when the chips caught on fire.  I'm scared to put meat in this thing now, even though I bought two pork butts tonight at Sam's Club to break it in with this weekend. :(
Scott P - 50 years young - Southern California

Masterbuilt Electric 40 (3 actually. It's a long story)
Proud new owner of a 4D Big Daddy.