Author Topic: Boil in the Bag Reheating  (Read 7803 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Boil in the Bag Reheating
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:54:24 PM »
I had some pulled pork in my freezer that I had vacuum sealed a couple months back with the thought that I would try the boil in the bag approach. I had never tried it until tonight.

I brought the water to a slow boil then reduced the heat and dropped my bag of goodness inside. I flipped it back and forth for a good 15-20 min until I thought surely I had to be done reheating. Cut the bag open to find that it was still mostly frozen. I took off most of the outer layer that had already warmed up then held the bag while the meat continued to take a hot bath.  This time I turned up the heat so that there was a slow simmer. About 5 minutes into that, the bottom seal of the bag became unsealed and all my delicious pulled pork fell straight into the boiling water. After a few quick obscenities, I grabbed a colander and drained the water to save the pork. Surprisingly, the center was still frozen. The pork that ended up in the boil was now kind of bland. But figured I could throw some sauce on it to make it acceptable. Worked out okay for pulled pork tacos.

Not sure what I did wrong with this boil in the bag thing. Has anyone else had this experience?  It has also got me wondering if the foodsaver bags are bpa free or are they leaching into the meat during the boil.

I thing I may just go back to the old school way of defrosting in the fridge over a couple days and warming in the microwave.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Texan in Tulsa

Re: Boil in the Bag Reheating
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
Libo........that sounds like a case of bad luck all the way around.

I have never tried to boil anything in my Foodsaver bags and am surprised that the bag seal gave out. Were these pre-made bags or did you make that bottom seal with the machine? It melts the bag to make the seam, so I guess it's possible if you reach that temperature when reheating that the bag could fail in any place with a melt through.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:18 PM »
This bag was from a roll that I had sealed both ends of the bag. 

It was a case of bad luck.  But the good news is that it is still edible so not all is lost!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 07:50:44 PM »
Only one answer:  HEAT!  FoodSaver bags are not "boil-in" bags, but they can withstand heat.  When you reheat, using this method, bring the water to a point just below a boil (high simmer); do not let it start to boil!  If it does, turn the heat down to a simmer and let the water cool until it stops.  I like to place a baking rack, or something similar, in the bottom of the pan to keep the plastic off the bottom.  Let the bags simmer for a few hours, and your results will be much different!  When I seal fresh pulled pork, or ribs, I triple-seal the bags in case I reheat with the simmering water method.  Never had any blowouts doing it this way.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »
Tony, won't a few hours re-cook the meat too much?  How do you determine when it's done?
The Woodlands, Texas

Limey

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 11:07:21 PM »
 I always use an Adnova sous vide circulator to reheat. That way you can select the precise temperature you want with no problems of over cooking or blowouts. Works great for me.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »
If it's a low simmer, you won't go past around 170 or so.  If you've thawed your meat in the fridge for a couple of days, about an hour is fine.  I only said 2-3 hours because you were starting with frozen meat.  Got to allow for the thaw time before it starts heating.  Of course, the very best way to reheat is a sous vide heater, like the Anova! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
I always unthaw mine before reheating in the bag and have never had a problem and I do this ALL the time.
I bet I have 5-6 bags of PP in the freezer right now.

One of my new favorites that I started doing a couple of years ago is adding PP to spaghetti sauce with about 1/3-1/2 cup of BBQ sauce to make some killer Spaghetti sauce.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

RG

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
I've reheated frozen stuff in FS bags for years and never had a blowout. I've also never done a rolling boil but more than a simmer, no issues. I've grilled chicken breasts in bulk and freeze them individually and take them frozen and nuke'em for about 2 minutes (I go cut a slit to vent) and that works good too.
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 02:18:13 PM »
I always unthaw mine before reheating in the bag and have never had a problem and I do this ALL the time.
I bet I have 5-6 bags of PP in the freezer right now.

One of my new favorites that I started doing a couple of years ago is adding PP to spaghetti sauce with about 1/3-1/2 cup of BBQ sauce to make some killer Spaghetti sauce.

Oooooh!! I like the sound of that! Recipe please!! ;)
Jason from Conyers GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
I think I originally saw this on a Food Network Show (can't remember which), but SuperDave saw the same show and wrote it up with this thread:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2732

I don't use nearly as much BBQ sauce as he does though. I just pour the sauce and stir until it tastes right. But, I think it usually ends up being about 1/3-3/4 cup depending on how much sauce I have. I usually use a homemade sauce that I make in large batches and divide and freeze. This one I really don't have a recipe for as I just throw things in until it tastes right. But, I have also used store bought (don't tell anyone) in a  pinch and was really good too.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »
Greg, that does sound damn good!  I'll have to give that a try.

I guess I should have thawed the PP first. I'll give it another shot. It's about time for me to smoke a few pork butts anyway.
The Woodlands, Texas

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »
+1 on the Anova for reheating. Nothing easier or better. Expensive gadget just for reheating, but you can actually use it for sous vide too! :o
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
Greg had me thinking with his pulled pork spaghetti recipe.  Last night my wife was cooking yakisoba but had to take care of something so I took over. Realizing that she didn't have any meat in it, I looked in the fridge and saw the rest of the pulled pork I had reheated earlier this week. I dumped the remainder in and it turned out to be a very interesting and delicious combination!  Heck, what doesn't taste better with pulled pork in it?  LOL
The Woodlands, Texas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »
That looks awesome! I agree, pulled pork can make anything taste better.
Gregg - Fargo, ND